Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 USB-OTG Bring Up Design Verification

Jump to solution
atillametetured
Contributor V

Greetings,

We have a custom i.MX6Q board design and our plan is to bring the board up via serial downloader as the first option. Here I am a bit paranoid about the validity of the design so I would like to get some step-by-step confirmation on whether this will work or not?

First below is the schematics to the PF0100 boost regualtor output where the USB OTG VBUS is to be powered;

USB_OTG_Schematic_4.JPG

I am not sure why Sabre SD followed such logic but I tried and did the same where SWBSTIN is gated by SW2 which powers the VDDHIGH rail on the processor. In Sabre SD, it is gated by AUX_3V15 but I do not believe it will make a great difference. SW2 is prior to SWBST on power-up sequence of the PMIC also.

Next is the switching of the SWBST output for current limitng purposes, This is done via MIC2545A current-limit high-side switch.

USB_OTG_Schematic_2.JPG

As you can see, Enable pin of the switch is not pulled high/low but connected directly to i.MX6 E23 which is the designated USB_OTG_PWR signal. SWBST output is switched here to become the USB_OTG_VBUS which is distributed to both i.MX6 OTG_VBUS and the USB connector VBUS as follows;

USB_OTG_Schematic_1.JPG

And to the i.MX6;

USB_OTG_Schematic_3.JPG

This is done so that the USB_OTG_VBUS is not always available but only made available when i.MX is the host. USB_OTG_ID is pulled high default at the connector input (Also there is an ESD chip there in the design in case you wonder what U29 was).

This sums up the schematic part of the design. For the layout 4 mils signals with 4 mils airgap was used to get approximately 92 ohms differential impedance and approximately 55 ohm single ended impedance. Tracks travel around 3.5 inches from the connector to the processor. From the processor to the connector the length difference between two differential signals are 0.64 mils.

At the connector vicinity;

USB_OTG_LAY_1.JPG

Path from the connector to the i.MX processor;

USB_OTG_LAY_2.JPG

This sums up my design. Now I wonder, when using the serial downloader to get the image into the processor, at what speed does the USB work, does it act as host or slave, who supplies the VBUS? Do you see any logic gaps in this design or errors in the layout?

If someone reading this post brought up the card using the serial downloader, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Mete

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Everything looks OK in your design.

Q. Now I wonder, when using the serial downloader to get the image into the processor, at what speed does the USB work, does it act as host or slave, who supplies the VBUS?

A. When using the serial downloader, the i.MX6 USB OTG port operates as slave (device), VBUS is supplied by Host, the connection operates at the maximum speed the Host allows (typically, at High speed).

Q. Do you see any logic gaps in this design or errors in the layout?

A. No.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Everything looks OK in your design.

Q. Now I wonder, when using the serial downloader to get the image into the processor, at what speed does the USB work, does it act as host or slave, who supplies the VBUS?

A. When using the serial downloader, the i.MX6 USB OTG port operates as slave (device), VBUS is supplied by Host, the connection operates at the maximum speed the Host allows (typically, at High speed).

Q. Do you see any logic gaps in this design or errors in the layout?

A. No.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!