cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Linux frame buffer initialization

stefanstefanov
Contributor I

Hi community,

I am using NG6 based custom board with L3.0.35_4.0.0 BSP.

While debugging a kernel panic, related to IPU channel interrupt, triggered early in the kernel initialization, I have discovered a possible race condition that may lead to kernel panic.

Consider the following call chain from drivers/video/mxc/mxc_ipuv3_fb.c:

mxcfb_probe() -> mxcfb_register() -> ipu_request_irq().

The requested interrupt (channel interrupt, EOF) is cleared and then enabled inside ipu_request_irq(). Then immediately after that call there is a call to ipu_disable_irq(mxcfbi->ipu, mxcfbi->ipu_ch_irq).

My understanding (based on the code) is that the intention is to register the interrupt line and to keep it disabled until later time.

However the above sequence is not atomic.

If there is a HW interrupt generated somehow between ipu_request_irq() and ipu_disable_irq() calls, it will be serviced:

__irq_svc() ... mxcfb_irq_handler().

In mxcfb_irq_handler(), there is a completion signalled. However that completion is not initialized, no call to init_completion(&mxc_fbi->flip_complete) yet.

That happens later in _setup_disp_channel2(), in mxcfb_set_par().

Because that completion is not yet initialized, that causes kernel to panic while servicing the EOF interrupt, because some of the completion structure members are not initialized.

I have also looked at imx_3.0.35_4.1.0 and  imx_3.0.101 branches, but no code difference in regards to this problem.

Do you think this is a real problem or I have missed something ...

Cheers,

Stefan.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I got the reply from the expert:

========

IPU will not generate interrupt before the mxcfb_probe returns.

Before the fb driver initialization completes, there is no display data can write to framebuffer,

0 Kudos

shrikantchikodi
Contributor I

Hello ,

Sometimes between ipu_request_irq and ipu_disable_irq function, my kernel crashes showing NULL pointer error.

Also when I put a printk in the "ipu_disable_irq" function it crashes; again with NULL pointer error. What could be the reason of seldom crash occurrence?

In ipu_disable_irq function we have "spin_lock_irqsave" and "spin_unlock_irqrestore". What is their significance?

Thanks,

Shrikant

0 Kudos