how to generate u-boot.elf file in Yocto build

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to generate u-boot.elf file in Yocto build

niranjanbc
Contributor IV

I would like to generate u-boot.elf file along with other images in yocto build.

i need the .elf for debugging, can anyone let me know what changes needed to be added to recipes/config file so that i get ".elf" when we do Bitbake.

thanks

Niranjan

5 Replies

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Niranjan,

Please note that u-boot elf containing the full debug symbols is u-boot file (not u-boot.elf) and this is already built/generated when u-boot is built.

My commands for patching/cleaning/deploying u-boot:

1. clean the existing u-boot build

bitbake -c cleanall u-boot-imx

2. Unpack the u-boot source code

bitbake -c unpack u-boot-imx

3. now you can write the code/updating the u-boot

4. just build u-boot

bitbake -c deploy u-boot-imx

u-boot not stripped file (for debugging purpose) is in the work directory, not in images (here are kept only the binaries files).

b32331@fsr-ub1664-133:/work/mcu/stash/fsl-release-bsp/imx7dsabresd/tmp/work/imx7dsabresd-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2016.03-r0/build/mx7dsabresd_config$ pwd
/work/mcu/stash/fsl-release-bsp/imx7dsabresd/tmp/work/imx7dsabresd-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2016.03-r0/build/mx7dsabresd_config
b32331@fsr-ub1664-133:/work/mcu/stash/fsl-release-bsp/imx7dsabresd/tmp/work/imx7dsabresd-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2016.03-r0/build/mx7dsabresd_config$ file u-boot
u-boot: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /usr/lib/ld.so.1, not stripped

Best regards,

Marius

asick
Contributor III

Hi Marius Grigoras,

How to write the code/updating the u-boot?

I'm using iMX7ULP board, how to customize U-boot, Karnel, rootfilesystem by using Yocto build ?

mariusviorelgrigoras-b32331‌ vanessamaegima

imx7ulp‌ yoctosumo‌ yocto uboot #imx rootfs

0 Kudos

niranjanbc
Contributor IV

Thank Marius,

found u-boot file at below directory

//...../u-boot-imx/2016.03-r0/git/mx6sxsabresd_config

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Niranjan,

I haven’t tested but it’s possible that these files are not being generated because you do not have the debug build flag turned on. You should be able to activate it on the local.conf file (or on your image) with the command:

DEBUG_BUILD = “1”

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

niranjanbc
Contributor IV

Thank you

0 Kudos