cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a question about compiling uboot or kernel for imx28

jonnyju
Contributor I

Dear all:

as we all know, we call use ltib to compile all src code, and  get the image,

but if i want to compile uboot or kernel or rootfs respectivly, without using ltib,

ex: i patched kernel by hand, after configuring the kernel, run "make uImage",

but the uImage i get seems to be different from the one compiled with ltib,

i use mfg tools burn two uImage into flash, but the one compiled by hand can not work,

while the one compiled with ltib works well.

so if i want to compile uboot or kernel or rootfs respectivly, without using ltib, what should be paid attention to ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

When compiling u-boot or kernel for i.MX28 one thing to especially consier is that i.MX28 internal ROM does not boot u-boot.bin or uImage directly. Instead those have to package in a special binary format called bootstream.

So, every time you build u-boot or kernel, you will have to rebuild bootstream as well, so that it takes latest u-boot and/or kernel image!

Easiest to do this with LTIB:

./ltib -m prep -p kernel     //will unpack to <ltib>/rpm/BUILD/linux-.... ; patch as needed

./ltib -m scbuild -p kernel //will build kernel

./ltib -m scdeploy -p kernel //will deploy built kernel binary to <ltib>/rootfs

./ltib -p boot_stream.spec -f

Last command forces rebuild of bootstream. Do similar for u-boot as well.

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think it is easier to boot a mainline U-boot on mx28, so that you do not have to worry about the bootlets.

Instructions are here:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=doc/README.mx28_common;h=8bacaf8a5e5a19b33b695b7861510bbbd...

jonnyju
Contributor I

thks, i got sb through bootlets.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you set ARCH=arm and set CROSS_COMPILE before 'make' ?

0 Kudos

jonnyju
Contributor I

of cause i did

0 Kudos