Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi module for i.MX53

Jump to solution
KarelH
Contributor II

Hello,

please, could anybody sugest an easy to use WiFi module for i.MX53 QSB?

I will make my own complete proceesor board, so I can't use USB dongle, it should be really a module with the antena connector.

For the start, I can test it on the special board, connected to the expansion port of i.MX53 QSB.

The drivers has to be available and easy to implement to my Linux bundle. I'm not experienced in writing or modifying drivers.

Thank you,

Karel

Labels (1)
1 Solution
NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi Karel,

you try looking this solutions.

802.11bgn 2.4GHz Module

Wi-Fi Client on i.MX53QSB

they have a solution and driver implemented in the QSB53

hope this can help you.

-ni

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vedad
Contributor II

Hi Karel,

Check these: WHZ4188, WHZ4178 & WHZ7188.

0 Kudos
Oceanblue
Contributor III

Does this module support MX53 Windows Embedded Compact 7? thx

0 Kudos
waterzhou
Contributor V

SX-SDCAN is our imx6 serial's default suported wifi modules. If you choose this module, you can directly use our newest  wifi driver from our official release. It should be easy to port it to imx53.

0 Kudos
tamisoft
Contributor I

As far as I know SX-SDCAN has only Wifi support, BT coexistence is not working with it. OR if it does can you point me to a working driver direction? I got a reply from the qualcomm kernel driver maintainer stating that the opensource driver doesn't have coexistence support and it is a "nasty hack" in the vendor driver.

So anyone with a working single antenna solution out there utilizing the AR6233? :smileyhappy:

Thanks

0 Kudos
YS
Contributor IV

It is pretty complex topic, because AR6233 can have several different antenna configuration. It has separated 2.4GHz WiFi RF, Bluetooth RF and 5GHz WiFi RF (actually comes from external Front End Module). How to connect those RF lines to antenna is depends on board design.

While QCA reference design (WB44) uses 2-anntena configuration (One dual-band WiFi antenna + dedicated Bluetooth antenna), the SX-SDCAN used single antenna with diversity. All three RF are combined to single RF line then routed to two dual-band antennas for diversity. Diversity control is optional, so you can also use it as single-antenna module.

The uses of antenna is controlled by the AR6003 (i.e WiFi function). It select 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi RF line based on WiFi activity, then let Bluetooth use the antenna for free time. As consequence, WiFi will almost dominant the antenna when you use 2.4GHz WiFI and Bluetooth simultaneously. This is default configuration of WiFi - Bluetooth coexistence behavior. It won't kill each other, but WiFi almost overwhelm the Bluetooth when simultaneously operated.

On SX-SDCAN (and so as SX-SDMAN) the WiFi and Bluetooth functions are connected by 3-wire PTA (Packet Traffic Arbitration) lines for better load sharing between WiFi and Bluetooth. Howver you need special configuration tool from the vendor - "the nasty hack" - to activate the PTA arbitration. I can't tell you much of the detail because I afraid to violate NDA contract with QCA.

The other important fact is that, usage of antenna switch matrix is embedded in the board data file - often refereed as calData file, along with power calibration table. This is another reason you should use the driver (at least the calData file) shipped by the vendor rather than open-source. Standard board data file comes with open-source project will work, but you won't get optimized performance; not only the power calibration would be out of range, but also RF swtich matrix in the calData file may not match with actual module.

tamisoft
Contributor I

Thank you very much Yuji,

Is there a way to continue this discussion in private, because actually our company has an NDA with QCA, it is just that they kinda don't answer support questions, just dumped us with the utilities and schematics and docs, but no explanation on how to connect the dots. If so I can explain what we have and why there's frustration;)

I appreciate your time

0 Kudos
YS
Contributor IV

Please send me Direct message so I can contact my e-mail account.

I try to send you, but there are two "Levente Tamas" account in this community (with same default icons) so I was not sure which one is you.

I know what you talking about... I spent a lot of time to figure out how wmiconfig or abtfilt works (or does not work).

"

0 Kudos
tamisoft
Contributor I

Do you get this email? :smileyhappy:

I have two account at freescale unfortunately I am very heavy on triggering

bugs everywhere I touch, and I managed to get one on FSL website;)

Levi

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Yuji Sasaki

0 Kudos
YS
Contributor IV

I haven't received e-mail. Please see my profile - you can find my e-mail address there.

0 Kudos
KarelH
Contributor II

Thank you for the answers, it will really help.

0 Kudos
YS
Contributor IV

Our company silex offers Qualcomm-Atheros AR6233 based SDIO Dualband WiFi + Bluetooth module called SX-SDCAN.

Silex - SX-SDCAN - 802.11a/b/g/n plus Bluetooth SDIO Wireless AR6003 Card Module

It works on iMX53QSB with default open-source driver comes with it, but recommended to use silex driver for best performance.

NicolasIzquierd
Contributor III

Hi Karel,

you try looking this solutions.

802.11bgn 2.4GHz Module

Wi-Fi Client on i.MX53QSB

they have a solution and driver implemented in the QSB53

hope this can help you.

-ni

0 Kudos