Why I can't see the /dev/sd* after loading the mfg os with imx usb loader?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I can't see the /dev/sd* after loading the mfg os with imx usb loader?

Jump to solution
m4l490n
Contributor V

Hello everybody.

I have been able to successfully load the manufacturing u-boot, kernel, initramfs and dtb using imx_usb_loader and my board is booting into the manufacturing linux image. Nevertheless I can't see the /dev/sd* SD card device that I'm supposed to be seeing and therefore I can't send UTP commands to the board to flash my application image.

When using the MFGTool in Windows I can see in the tool messages that after executing the mfg OS downloading, the board becomes a USB Mass Storage Device, but I can't see that in linux. I can't use windows mfg tool and that is why I need to make it work on linux.

After comparing both serial console logs from the board when downloading the mfg OS with either MFGTool or imx_usb_loader I can see that they are the same (I'm using the same MFG files for testing the MFGTool and imx_usb_loader).

Does anybody know what is happening? Why I can see the USB mass storage device in windows but not in Linux?

Thanks!!

Labels (1)
1 Solution
m4l490n
Contributor V

Thanks jimmychan​ and @Carlos_Musich for helping, nevertheless any of the offered answers help me directly, both made me think that I was obsessed looking for a /dev/sd* device when I should have looked at some other different name.

I figured out that after loading the mfg image with the imx_usb_loader, the device present itself not with a name of /dev/sd* but with a name of /dev/sg* that is a SCSI generic device.

Using that device name (/dev/sg2 in my case) I was able to successfully flash my board using utp commands in linux!! FINALLY!!

Thanks anyway for helping me think outside the box, I appreciate it!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
m4l490n
Contributor V

Thanks jimmychan​ and @Carlos_Musich for helping, nevertheless any of the offered answers help me directly, both made me think that I was obsessed looking for a /dev/sd* device when I should have looked at some other different name.

I figured out that after loading the mfg image with the imx_usb_loader, the device present itself not with a name of /dev/sd* but with a name of /dev/sg* that is a SCSI generic device.

Using that device name (/dev/sg2 in my case) I was able to successfully flash my board using utp commands in linux!! FINALLY!!

Thanks anyway for helping me think outside the box, I appreciate it!

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Manuel,

usually when you read the sdcard through a USB adapter it is listed as /dev/cdX. But if you insert sdcard to a built-in sdcard reader on your PC it will be listed as /dev/mmcblkX

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

the sdcard on your board is /dev/mmcblk0 or mmcblk1. It depends how you setup the esdhc for mmc devices.

0 Kudos