cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iMX6 USB OTG port as client and interface to PC in CDC mode

paulschoenke
Contributor III

Hello!

I am looking to use the i.MX6 USB OTG port as a client (device mode) and interface to a PC running Windows 7.  I am looking for a CDC driver on the PC/host side and a (Yocto) Linux driver on the i.MX6 side. Ideally the solution would have a driver pair that would work together.  I'm looking to exchange data through this connection at high speed, maximum bandwidth if possible, large packets.  The embedded Linux application would include the Real-Time patch.

I've seen examples of using this port to connect to a PC in HID mode, but that's not sufficient for what I hope to accomplish. 

In our embedded application, we would like the iMX6 USB OTG port to be recognized by a Windows PC as a network device so a PC application can open a TCP/IP connection via USB.

·         Does Freescale provide any client drivers to configure the USB OTG port as Communications Device Class (CDC)?  If so, does Freescale have/recommend any matching low level drivers for the PC?

·         Do you know of any vendors that support iMX6 USB OTG port as a communication device and the corresponding Windows PC driver?

Any feedback or input is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

dariusrykowski
Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I need some support on similar issue.

I try to establish an NCM-Pipe towards an Windows 7 64-bit system. Between Linux systems its working fine.

But I couldn't find the correct NCM Driver. All I found are rather not working (Code 10 - Device couldn't be started) force them as an Network-adapter in Device-Manager of Windows, or they are incompatible with Windows 64-Bit os.

Also I tried the RNDIS driver which are e.g. used by BeagleBoneBlack over USB to host, with same behavior.

I also checked the Driver which was posted by but on Microsoft Certificated Driver I tells me that necessary file is missing.

I am thankful for each hint and help you could provide me.

Best regards,

Darius

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul

Freescale Linux USB client driver supports CDC (ethernet and serial support),

this is described in i.MX_6_Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf sect.41.1 "Introduction"

L3.10.17_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS   Linux 3.10.17 BSP & MM Bundle

L3.10.17_1.0.0_IMX6QDLS_BUNDLE :

For PC there is no need for special i.MX drivers. USB (for both i.MX6 and

Windows PC) uses standard interface defined in USB specifications.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

paulschoenke
Contributor III

Thanks very much!  I'll review further.

If USB (for both i.MX6 and Windows PC) uses standard interface, what is (are) the actual standard interface used by Windows PC, what is the name of the USB driver that the PC would use to talk to the OTG device/client?

Thanks again!

Paul

0 Kudos

kinectdeveloper
Contributor I

Paul,

Did you ever get this working? I'm looking to do the same thing, communicate between the Freescale imx6 and a Windows PC over the OTG USB device. Did you ever figure out how to set up the drivers on the imx6 side? How about the Windows side?

0 Kudos

paulschoenke
Contributor III

Hello,

This was posted on behalf of my customer and I shared with them the feedback directly. I have not heard if they were able to resolve the issue, but I have not heard either that there is still issues with this so my assumption was that the feedback to the post resolved the problem.

I hope this helps. I’m sorry that I don’t have more detail for you.

Best regards,

Paul

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul

for PC one can google around web, for example I found below

http://www.armadeus.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Gadget

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos