Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using battery pack with PF3000 PMIC

Jump to solution
johynpapin
Contributor I

Hello.
I want to know if it is possible to use a Li Ion battery with the PF3000 PMIC.
I actually want that if the module is connected via USB, then the battery is recharged and the module is powered by USB.

Then, I want that if the module is disconnected from the USB, the battery takes over.
This is in fact the same operation as for a smartphone.

Is it possible to carry out such an assembly with the help of PF3000, or is it necessary to add something?

Thank you in advance, best regards.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
mooreaa
Contributor II

Hi Johyn,

The PF3000 PMIC doesn't have an integrated lipo battery charger. There are several USB based lipo chargers on the market that you should be able to place in front of the PF3000 that will provide the function you are looking for. Just keep in mind that the PF3000 has a max 4.5V input into the regs so you need to use the integrated LDO to support the 5V (5.25V max from USB) by using the VPWR input. Note that the use of the LDO will impact the efficiency of the system so its better to use a battery charger with integrated switching regulator if possible and not use the LDO on the PF3000 if battery life is a concern.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No, the PF3000 PMIC cannot manage a LiIon battery by itself. Some external components are required.

0 Kudos
mooreaa
Contributor II

Hi Johyn,

The PF3000 PMIC doesn't have an integrated lipo battery charger. There are several USB based lipo chargers on the market that you should be able to place in front of the PF3000 that will provide the function you are looking for. Just keep in mind that the PF3000 has a max 4.5V input into the regs so you need to use the integrated LDO to support the 5V (5.25V max from USB) by using the VPWR input. Note that the use of the LDO will impact the efficiency of the system so its better to use a battery charger with integrated switching regulator if possible and not use the LDO on the PF3000 if battery life is a concern.

johynpapin
Contributor I

Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much, that's very clear.

0 Kudos