cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding the v4l2ctl - video frame timestamps

imx_learner
Contributor I

Hello,

I have an iMX6 transmitting live video to a Ubuntu PC as receiver. Following are my pipelines : 

Tx : 

imxv4l2videosrc device=/dev/video1 fps-n=30 capture-mode=4 ! \
        imxvpuenc_h264 bitrate=1000 ! \
        h264parse ! \
        rtph264pay ! \
        udpsink host=192.168.1.11 port=5001 \

rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_0 ! udpsink port=5002 \

udpsrc port=5005 ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_0

Rx : 

udpsrc name=source port=5001 !  $CAPS ! 
        rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_0 rtpbin. !  \
        rtph264depay ! \
        h264parse  ! \
        avdec_h264  ! \
        videorate  drop-only=true  ! \
        intervideosink sync=false \
        udpsrc port=5002 ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_0 
        rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_0 ! udpsink port=5005 sync=false async=false

I added a probe on `udpsrc`, on the Rx side, to get notified of `GST_PAD_PROBE_TYPE_PUSH`. I understand that for every buffer push, the probe callback will be called. 

Now in case I have a camera operating at 30 FPS, and transmitting this over a network, I was expecting there should be approx. 30 buffers I receive at the udpsrc (receiver side). 
1. Is this understanding right? 
2. Does one push-buffer correspond to 1 video frame send? 

With my current debugging, I find random number of buffers being pushed in a second, for eg. the following buffers were pushed for a period of 4 seconds :  112,130,142,107 . I used the Python timer api `time.perf_counter()`, to get timestamps of each buffer in the callback function for GST_PAD_PROBE_TYPE_PUSH. 

My main idea was to get the timestamp of each frame received at the udpsrc at the receiver side. How could this be achieved?

Regards.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

what problem do you have? I suggest that you can refer to the "RTP/UDP MPEGTS streaming" of linux user guide, which tell you how to set different parameters, like streaming-latency and low_latency_tolerance, and you can set do-timestamp=false

0 Kudos