cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to Serial for Gingerbread on BBG?

Jump to solution
mbp
Contributor V

Has anyone completed a port of the serial profile for USB on the i.Mx51 Babbage or i.Mx53 platform running Gingerbread?

I started this port about 10 months ago then got way-laid on other projects:

Step 1) Porting the support from a new Kernel to the R10 then

step 2) build hooks into Android.

I completed the Kernel update - but there it sits.

If anyone has completed this effort to so a design based on the BBG-Gingerbread or Mx53-Gingerbread platform will support USB to Serial dongle's PLEASE reply to me or to this post.  It would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

Labels (3)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

In linux kernel, there are some typical parts for USB to Serial converter, such as CP210x , FTDI devices etc, so anyway, haredware design or driver for linux(android) are both no problem, you can select one of them for your solution.

Regards,

Weidong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

In linux kernel, there are some typical parts for USB to Serial converter, such as CP210x , FTDI devices etc, so anyway, haredware design or driver for linux(android) are both no problem, you can select one of them for your solution.

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos
mbp
Contributor V

Weidong,

Thanks for your reply - yes this is true and I have utilized the FTDI driver for the Kernel portion.

My expectation is that this is only 1/2 of the support needed.

The exposure of this support to Android is where I am missing some pieces. 

How/what is needed for Android to recognize this additional support?   Typically (for other features I have added) I have found that I need to modify the Android-OS as well.

If you can provide any guidance that would be awesome!

Thanks,

mike

0 Kudos