Reason for Difference in Gigabit Performance on Ubuntu vs. Android JB4.3?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason for Difference in Gigabit Performance on Ubuntu vs. Android JB4.3?

carsongreen
Contributor I

TCP performance measured using iperf on the sabresd device using the built in gigabit with Android JB4.3 is around 320 Mbps while on Ubuntu is around 450 Mbps. What is the bottleneck in the Android network? Is there anyway to potentially optimize the Android build to better match the performance of using Ubuntu? What expectation can I have for network performance with a network adapter connected over PCIe. I have measured PCIe bus speeds to get at least as high as 1.4 Gbps, however I am concerned that the Android network stack running on the sabresd device may not be able to handle data rates at those speeds.

I have seen some other post discussing poor network performance in Android such as About Gigabit Ethernet performance gap between Android&Linux and http://boundarydevices.com/i-mx6-ethernet/ but in these post, test show lots of dropped packets and I am getting very little dropped packets. I have also tested reducing tcp_mem, tcp_rmem and tcp_wmem in Ubuntu to what it is in Android and this had very little impact on performance so I don't think lack of available tcp memory is the problem.

Thanks,

Carson

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carson,

I think link below answers your question.

In general obviously different OS may have different performance

due to different memory layout, driver structure and associated with

it bus loading.

About Gigabit Ethernet performance gap between Android&Linux

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos