cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGMII to RGMII connection

niteshsahay
Contributor III

Hi

In my project i am planning to have MAC to MAC communication (i.e. RGMII) with MCIMX6QP6AVT1AA.

Any idea on how to connect the pins for MAC to MAC communication.

Regards

Nitesh

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the following document:

http://www.nxp.com/files/ftf_2010/Americas/WBNR_FTF10_NET_F0568.pdf

Find the "RGMII without a PHY" in this document.

The i.MX6 requires external signal ENET_REF_CLK.

The following connection is needed:

1. i.MX6 <=> i.MX6

TXDx      => RXDx

RXDx      <= TXDx

TX_EN        => RX_DV

RX_DV        <= TX_EN

TX_ER => RX_ER

RX_ER <= TX_ER

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RichG
Contributor III

Hello,

Is there a better link to the document that is referenced in this topic? The link appears to be broken. I'm looking at using an RGMII to RGMII connection between two i.MX8QM processors - I assume that will work similarly? Also, is there anything special that I need to do regarding the software? Since there is no MDC/MDIO connection I'm guessing there might be. 

Thanks so much,

Rich

0 Kudos

niteshsahay
Contributor III

Hi Pavel

Thanks for the reply.

I am attaching one file can you please help me out in cross verifying the connections i have made for my board (i.e. MAC to MAC).

Another one query regarding TXC and RXC clock i.e. 125MHZ clock will be externally given or how it is?

BR\NiteshRGMII Interface_MAC to MAC.png

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, External 125 MHz clock source is needed. Find the "RGMII without a PHY" in the following document:

http://www.nxp.com/files/ftf_2010/Americas/WBNR_FTF10_NET_F0568.pdf
Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

niteshsahay
Contributor III

Hi Pavel

Thanks for the reply.

One query on Clock:

1) Only single oscillator can be used to generate 125 MHz for TXC and RXC or two different oscillators are used to connect TXC and RXC.

2) Can we have one zero clock delay to generate two output which will be individually connected to TXC and RXC.

BR\Nitesh

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

it is enough to provide common for both i.MX6 parts ENET_REF_CLK.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos