cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powertop for Linux / Android

kyke
Contributor I

Hi,

I am working with a i.MX6 based board running Android 4.3. I would like to install powertop:

- Has anyone had success doing this?

- Could someone provide some step-by-step guide?

- If not, does imx6 have similar tools?

I had use powerdebug to control clock gates but it seems a bit limited. I am up for any recommendations / tools you can provide me,

Enrique

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you try to build the source code simply by using the ARM cross compiler?

for example :

ARCH=arm

CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/freescale/usr/local/gcc-4.6.2-glibc-2.13-linaro-multilib-2011.12/fsllinaro-toolchain/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-   (which is the path of the toolchain)

then 'make' the source code.

0 Kudos

kyke
Contributor I

I hope it was as easy, But I need to build the dependencies and I don't know why the "libncurses" is giving me a lot of problems. Every time I try to build I get this problem,

make: *** No rule to make target `out/target/product/udoo/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libncurses_intermediates/export_includes', needed by `out/target/product/udoo/obj/EXECUTABLES/powertop_intermediates/import_includes'.

I don't know how to fixed it. I had download the library for Android and tried to built in from the external folder, but seems that doesn't work.

Thank you for your help anyway,

Enrique.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

My host is Ubuntu 14.04.

according to the README, some dependencies are needed, so I install them in my host.

$ sudo apt-get install -y ncurses-dev libnl-dev

Then export the ARCH and CC:

$export ARCH=ARM

$export CROSS_COMPILE=~/myandroid/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6/bin/arm-eabi-

Then build the powertop without error.

kyke
Contributor I

Thank you for your useful answers jimmy, it could build powertop,

But now, I am having problems to include the files build in the Android kernel. I had tried to copy everything and execute :

./powertop

but I got this error:

/system/bin/sh: ./powertop: not executable: magic 7F45

Seems it's not recognized as a executable. Do you have any idea about this kind of error and/or how to fix it?

Thank you,

Enrique

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Did you try 'chmod' to change it to executable?

0 Kudos

kyke
Contributor I

I saw their permission, and it has execution permission (for all user levels), the problem is the system itself it's not identifying it as an executable, so it doesn't really cares about if it has permission or not.

For what I read on internet, this is a problem with Android linux kernel, most of the time caused by some missing dependencies and problems with the two first bytes..

0 Kudos