cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polyphonic Speaker, Codec and Amplifier selection

Jump to solution
vigneshvasudeva
Contributor II

I am working on an i.MX6 based processor board in which I want to drive a speaker that helps with voice based alerts and event-status to the end user.

Please help me to select the appropriate speaker wrt:

1. Frequency
  2. Sound pressure level (dB)
  3. Impedance
  4. Power Rating

Also what are the factors to be considered for Amplifier selection? What are the basic computations to do?

What are the factors to be considered for Codec selection? FYI, I want to utilize the I2S interface of i.MX6

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vignesh Vasudevan

From the Freescale side, we can only offer our Codec SGTL5000, unfortunately we do not have any recommended amplifiers or speakers, however, the SGTL5000 have an integrated headphone amplifier and also the SGTL500 can drive 8 ohm speakers.

Just keep in mind that Headphone outputs already have an integrated amplifier, but Lineout doesn´t.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vignesh Vasudevan

From the Freescale side, we can only offer our Codec SGTL5000, unfortunately we do not have any recommended amplifiers or speakers, however, the SGTL5000 have an integrated headphone amplifier and also the SGTL500 can drive 8 ohm speakers.

Just keep in mind that Headphone outputs already have an integrated amplifier, but Lineout doesn´t.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos