Please review our DDR connection with imx23

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please review our DDR connection with imx23

jlumme
Contributor III

In our last build we had big issues with DDR stability in our prototype, basically because of inexperience of designing this type of memory connections.

We managed to get it working with halving the CPU speed, and loosening the timings slightly, but for our next version, we are trying to make it work 100%.

We made several mistakes last time:

- routed some of the data lines through 3 layers, and some from 2.

- did not match the line lengths

- our capacitor placement for memory power lines was not as close to the chip as possible.

This time we have fixed those mistakes, but would still like to hear some feedback from experienced designers.

Sorry in advance already for adding several pictures, and in PADS it's impossible (to my knowledge) to color different layers differently when wire is "selected", so it might be little bit difficult to figure out the lines. I.mx is on the right, and DDR on the left.

So first of all, this time we have routed the clock lines as differentials, and they look like this:

clk.jpg

We have routed our data lines all through only 2 layers (couple of them go through the power plane, we couldn't avoid it), and trace lengths are matched as close as possible. So the amount of VIAs is same on every trace:

data2.png

Our address lines are also all going through 2 layers, and trace lengths are matched as close as possible:

address2.png

Our capacitors for the power lines of DDR memory, are all placed as close to the chip as possible:

caps.jpg

Our trace lengths are currently:

CS 18.8

CLNK 30.1

CLK 30.4

CKE 36.1

A0 37.2

A1 37.2

A2 27.2

A3 37.2

A4 36.2

A5 36.1

A6 36.2

A7 36.2

A8 36.2

A9 36.2

A10 37.2

A11 36.2

A12 36.2

D0 35.5

D1 35.6

D2 36.2

D3 36.2

D4 27.3

D5 36.2

D6 36.1

D7 36.2

D8 37.2

D9 36

D10 28

D11 36.1

D12 36.1

DQM0 36.1

DQM1 36.2

DQS0 35.6

DQS1 37.2

CASN 37.2

RASN 37.2

BA0 37.2

BA1 37.2

WEN 36.1

We matched also CASN and RASN lengths. Our CS is much shorter than other lines, but we are assuming this woudln't be a problem..

So, please we could use some advice and tips where we might have gone wrong...

Edit: Replaced the data and address line images with edited images that are much easier to read

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Juha

please look at

AN4215 i.MX28 Layout Guidelines

this can be used with i.MX23 too.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jlumme
Contributor III

Hi chipexpert,

Thanks for your reply. We have read and followed Freescales layout design guidelines indeed, but Im "hoping" people would find some mistakes in our approach :smileyhappy:

I have edited the images with photoshop so that they are much more readable, and each layer separation is clear..

0 Kudos