cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMIC startup

pscz
Contributor II

Hello guys!

I've been implementing a board with i.MX6 processor.

I'm going to embed the Freescale's PMIC (PM0100) and I see from the design reference "MCIMX6Q-SMART DEVICE BOARD" that they are using the "MMPF0100NPEP" which is the NON PROGRAMMED device.

My question is:

1) in the schematic VDDOTP is tied to GND by a 10k, and the datasheet of the MMPF0100NPEP says: "The OTP configuration is enabled by connecting VDDOTP to GND.

For NP devices, selecting the OTP configuration causes the PF0100 to not start-up"

2) the MMPF0100NPEP gives the power supply to all the board (U9, the LDO that generates VSNVS, is not populated)

How is that possible that the i.MX6 can program the PF0100 before it can start?

I see that VSNVS is also generated by the PF0100.

Thank you in advance.

Alessandro

Labels (1)
3 Replies

JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alessandro,

Programming of the PF0100 is done via I2C and it can be done by the i.MX, but, as you point, the first time you do it the voltages won't be up, so the i.MX won't be able to do so. The first time programming has to be done by an external MCU. We have a special programmer for this or you can use one of your own. Our programmer can be found at www.freescale.com, look for it as KTPFPGMEVMEUG. This is the link to its users guide for more details:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/analog/doc/user_guide/KTPFPGMEVMEUG.pdf?&Parent_nodeId=&Parent_page...=

Best regards.

Jorge.

JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

BTW, the PMIC in the SDB board should already be programmed. We use version F0 in that board.

Best regards.

Jorge.

pscz
Contributor II

Hi Jorge,

after a discussion with a Freescale's FAE, I also decided to use the F0 version of this device.

I'm always concerned about the usage of chips tailored for specific integrated circuits. They take away the control of crucial parameters and furthermore they can not be simulated as you would do with (for example) Linear Technologies devices.

Anyway, as far as I was able to understand, these components are quite reliable... so, finger crossed :smileyhappy:

Thank you for your answer,

Kind regards,

Alessandro

0 Kudos