NAND Flash System Boot Flow

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAND Flash System Boot Flow

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Can you give me information related to the NAND Flash .... System Boot Flow in i.MX53

Any documents///        presentation documents, prepared notes etc., if available please give a link or you can send me through e-mail.

I am newbie & I would like to get some information related to it.

So, Please try to get me the docs.   Thanking You ..... Krishna Pavan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I believe block and page sizes are NAND specific, so you should check the NAND datasheet for specifics. Most commong sizes are 512B/2K/4K.

Vladan

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

O.K Thank you, Vladan Jovanovic.I have referred those chapters and got some information.

However I have one question.

If an SD Card is used then each block on that is 512Bytes  and so we will give 8192 as primary partition.

So, then If I use 2GB NAND Flash on i.MX51, then what is the size of each block on that NAND Flash & What is the size to be allotted for the primary partition.

0 Kudos

VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

i.MX51 boot flow is described only briefly in the ref. manual. For details, you should check with your local FAE (either distributor or Freescale).

However, it is largely the same as what happens in i.MX53, and details for that are described in Chapter 7 of i.MX53 Reference Manual.

vladan

0 Kudos

hake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

briefingly,

ROM will read the code from NAND, (there is a redundant function, just for multiple boot backup), the RAM address will be configured in uboot config, which is the same as other bootm.

as to NAND storage which 8k, it is a little bit complex, you can either read the kobs code, or use nanddump. We have no document for this, as we expect users can use as is.

0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

Thank You @ hake huang.

But, I just wanted to know the details like,

the code will be placed @ 8K , and RAM will be used accordingly etc etc,.......

Which I dont understand...So, I just wanted to know about the NAND System Boot Sequence...

0 Kudos

hake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

if you have board with nand. you can run below command line to burn uboot

kobs-ng init --chip_0_device_path=/dev/mtd0 u-boot.bin

0 Kudos

hake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
sorry, just check the status, the SMD board does not support NAND boot either, only very old board supports, we call it EVK. You can find the related document in ATK documents, but in recent release, those are gone.
0 Kudos

KrishnaPavan
Contributor II

O.K......... thankyou for the reply, but i need the NAND Flash System Boot Flow... Say for SMD Board.

It might be any i.MX5XX series processor.

0 Kudos

hake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MX53 QS board does not support NAND boot. other MX53 board like SMD support this.

0 Kudos