cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturing tool(Mfgtool) - wall comments

StanleyLee
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Manufacturing tool is a tool which can burn your own image into storage media like eMMC, SD or NAND flash, etc.

The tool can also act as a debug tool which allows you to download your image into RAM to debug. This is very useful when storage media is not ready yet.

0 Kudos
16 Replies

iMXAndrew
Contributor II
Make sure dip switches are set correctly on sabre board. Power on sabre board. Have the usb cable connected to the sabre usb port and the computer. Then load manufaturing tool. After tool is loaded. Press the reset buttor on sabre tablet. Should install driver and the show up correctly in tool. Let me know if you have any questions.
0 Kudos

muthesrinivas
Contributor I

Hi friends,

Actually iam trying to load images to the SABRE tablet. for that i have choosen the MFG tool but while installing the drivers iam getting the following problems:

firstly, i forced tablet to serial download mode using dip settings and i found that orange light is blowing. Next i connected tablet to the PC via Debug board. When i connecting to the host pc that recognize my device as a USB serial port and automatically installing the USB driver. But it is not recognize as "Freescale i.MX53 USB BulkIO Device". 

Please any one can give me suggestion to be appreciated........

0 Kudos

ChrisWilliamson
Contributor III

Hi Ken,
I don't think it completely disables the USB port. Pretty sure there is a way to specify the USB as THE boot device, but if the boot mode is set to look at the SD card and there is a valid SD card, the device will boot from the SD card. If the specified bootmode is not valid, then the ROM tries to boot from USB as a backup/default/fail-safe method.

0 Kudos

KenSnyder
Contributor I

Chris,

Thanks for info and feedback.  

My problem was that I already had a bootable SD card in the QSB board.  Apparently, this completely disables the USB port.  Who knew?

0 Kudos

ChrisWilliamson
Contributor III

Ken, The MX53 does not enumerate as a HID device. When you connect the device to the pc via usb, Windows will ask you for the drivers. Point the dialog to the drivers folder of the MfgTool package that contains the .inf file. Then Windows should intsall the drivers and the MfgTool will be able to talk to the device.

0 Kudos

KenSnyder
Contributor I

The MfgTool User's Guide says: "

Each physical USB port that will be used with the Manufacturing Tool must be loaded with the HID Mode Driver. The HID Mode Driver allows the PC to communicate with the device while in HID Mode.  This procedure only has to be done once for each port.

To load the HID Mode Driver for each port:

1.     Plug the device into the external USB hub port that is to be configured.

2.     Place the device in HID Mode.

3.     The PC will recognize a new device is attached and attempt to load the HID Mode Driver. 

4.     Repeat Steps 1-3 for each physical port that is to be used with the Manufacturing Tool (up to 16).

If the system is asking for a reboot, answer No at this time. The system will be rebooted after completing the procedure in the next section."

But there is no "HID mode Driver".  How do you place the "device in HID mode"?  The support for this MfgTool seems to be lacking a great deal.

0 Kudos

KenSnyder
Contributor I

There is a file called imxusb.sys in the Drivers directory.  Am I supposed to install it?  Does anybody know the answer to this question?  My MfgTool doesn't seem to be able to access the iMX53 QSB.

0 Kudos

KenSnyder
Contributor I

The documentation for the MfgTool.exe says, "Now you need to connect your board to one USB port of your PC. Please make sure you have set the board to bootstrap mode before powering on the board. Please refer to platform specific document to see how to set the board to bootstrap mode."

I've searched the QSB HW Reference manual and no where does it mention any way to set the board to bootstrap mode.

Does anyone know what it's talking about?

0 Kudos

StanleyLee
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Could you please refine your questions and post it to our discussion forum, instead of comment wall?

We can continue discussion there.

0 Kudos

Davidkang
Contributor I

Dear all,

1.In Mfgtool ,there are the download progress bar and download finished information,but i want to add a new function in the target board(LCD) which is iMX508 for displaying a picture of  "download finish" ,how to solve it,please some advice to me.

for Mfgtool ,but I have no permission to download the sharing source code,thanks

0 Kudos

Davidkang
Contributor I

Dear all,

1.In Mfgtool ,there are the download progress bar and download finished information,but i want to add a new function in the target board(LCD) which is iMX508 for displaying a picture of  "download finish" ,how to solve it,please some advice to me.

for Mfgtool ,but I have no permission to download the sharing source code,thanks

0 Kudos

StanleyLee
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Why to show completing flag in LCD? You can check Mfgtool's panel to decide if it is finished.

0 Kudos

Davidkang
Contributor I

Hi all

I will try to use Mfgtool host tool download firmware to i.MX508EVK emmc ,and display "Download finished" information on LCD ,how to do it ? Thanks in advance .David kang

0 Kudos

mbp
Contributor V

Great!   We have some demo systems out in the field now which require update to resolve some issues.  And barring sending out replacement SD cards a means for a typical customer/End-User to update their SD card from a WinTel PC is not realistic.  So you can see that the capability to email a system update to the End-User which could then use your Mfgtool-SD would be extremely useful indeed!

Go-go-go!!

...if you need a beta tester - let me know!

0 Kudos

StanleyLee
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

ooh...I have to say thanks to you because you inspire me another way for end-user to update their devices.:)

Regarding to schedule, I hope I can finish it within 2 months. I have finished a prototype to show how the tool is running.

0 Kudos

mbp
Contributor V

Sounds great.   Mfgtool-SD would be extremely useful not only for mfg but for end-user system updates - if necessary.

What is the anticipated timeframe?

0 Kudos