Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMPF0100 OTP Programming with custom HW

Jump to solution
atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello

I know there are preprogrammed versions of PF0100 where certain voltage values and sequences ara available. My question is, can NXP ship these componenets programmed according to customer needs with arbitrary (within the specifications of the IC of course) settings. The problem is we are building a custom HW using this IC and iMX6Q and dont wish to go through all the programming hassle prior to the bring up.

Also, following AN4536, is there a hardware reference where iMX6 is interfaced with a NP PF0100 so we can take reference how to design a custom HW with an non-programmed PF?

Edit: Also related to the subject; Sabre board for smart devices says TP14 should be connected to 8 volts to program OTP fuses. Does this mean sabre board can be used to program a NP PF0100? If so, I cant say I understand how it works. To program, an I2C communication should be established with iMX6, but that implies the PMIC is programmed to power it up, if PMIC is programmed to power it up (and presumebly the whole board) what is the purpose of using OTP anyway? Arent they one time programibility fuses so that I can not alter their content?

Regards,

Mete

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Yes, it is possible to supply custom programmed PF0100 PMICs, the matter is the volume. Please contact your local NXP sales manager for details. Anyway, you

have to evaluate various power configurations on the design stage. The PF0100 PMIC contains so-called "try before buy" feature that allows a customer to evaluate various power configurations on a single PMIC without physically blowing the OTP bits each time. For more details, please refer to the Section 6.1.3 "OTP prototyping" of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.14 document, available on the MMPF0100 Documentation web page:

http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/pmics-for-i.mx-processors/14-channel-configurable...

To use this feature, you need some external programming probe, such as the following one:

http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/pmics-for-i.mx-processors/pf-series-programmer:KI...?

To use it with a target board, you have to follow the circuit, described in the Section 4.1 "Designing the Target PF0100 Application" of the attached document, in a target board design.

2. All PF0100 devices, including non-programmed ones, have so-called Default configuration, that can be appropriate for many designs, please refer to the "Default configuration/All devices" column in the Table 10 of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.14 document (see above). As the Section 6.1 of the same document says, the Default configuration can be enabled on all PF0100 devices, both programmed and non-programmed, by connecting the VDDOTP pin to VCOREDIG through a 100 kOhm resistor. Connecting VDDOTP to GND enables the OTP programmed configuration.

3. An external programming probe should be used for in-circuit programming of PF0100 PMICs, see the Point 1 above. Theoretically, it is possible to solder some wires to the i.MX6 SABRE SD board and perform PF0100 in-circuit programming, but, of course, it is hardly usable in practice. After evaluating power configurations and establishing the required OTP configuration, you can either design your board so as it will allow in-circuit programming of PF0100 PMIC (see the Point 1 above) or use the external socket:

http://www.nxp.com/products/interface-and-connectivity/interface-and-system-management/isolated-comm...

to externally program PMICs with the KITPFPGMEVME probe (sse above).

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. Yes, it is possible to supply custom programmed PF0100 PMICs, the matter is the volume. Please contact your local NXP sales manager for details. Anyway, you

have to evaluate various power configurations on the design stage. The PF0100 PMIC contains so-called "try before buy" feature that allows a customer to evaluate various power configurations on a single PMIC without physically blowing the OTP bits each time. For more details, please refer to the Section 6.1.3 "OTP prototyping" of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.14 document, available on the MMPF0100 Documentation web page:

http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/pmics-for-i.mx-processors/14-channel-configurable...

To use this feature, you need some external programming probe, such as the following one:

http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/pmics-for-i.mx-processors/pf-series-programmer:KI...?

To use it with a target board, you have to follow the circuit, described in the Section 4.1 "Designing the Target PF0100 Application" of the attached document, in a target board design.

2. All PF0100 devices, including non-programmed ones, have so-called Default configuration, that can be appropriate for many designs, please refer to the "Default configuration/All devices" column in the Table 10 of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.14 document (see above). As the Section 6.1 of the same document says, the Default configuration can be enabled on all PF0100 devices, both programmed and non-programmed, by connecting the VDDOTP pin to VCOREDIG through a 100 kOhm resistor. Connecting VDDOTP to GND enables the OTP programmed configuration.

3. An external programming probe should be used for in-circuit programming of PF0100 PMICs, see the Point 1 above. Theoretically, it is possible to solder some wires to the i.MX6 SABRE SD board and perform PF0100 in-circuit programming, but, of course, it is hardly usable in practice. After evaluating power configurations and establishing the required OTP configuration, you can either design your board so as it will allow in-circuit programming of PF0100 PMIC (see the Point 1 above) or use the external socket:

http://www.nxp.com/products/interface-and-connectivity/interface-and-system-management/isolated-comm...

to externally program PMICs with the KITPFPGMEVME probe (sse above).

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!