Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMDC chip select in DDR3 with i.MX6DL

Jump to solution
ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi all

My customer plan to use DDR3 and want to divide DDR memory by function.

For example, one is for boot and the other is for image buffering.

SABRE-SDP is following connection. (Figure 1)

pastedImage_72.png

My customer wanto to use following connection. (Figure 2)

pastedImage_71.png

However, according to the Table 45-13 of  IMX6SDLRM Rev. 2, 04/2015, MMDC support 2 channels only when user use LPDDR2.

Q1

Can we use like Figure 2 ?

Q2

If Q1 is yes, can we divide DDR memory by function ?

For example, one is for boot and the other is for image buffering.

Ko-hey

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ko-Hey,

You may use one Chip Select for both DDR chips, or one Chip Select for each DDR chip. Both figures presented are valid configurations. However, when using two Chip Selects the memories are mapped as a bigger combined memory, not as two separated memories.

I’m not familiar with implementations that use the configuration you mention, using a DDR chip for booting and system memory and another DDR chip dedicated to image buffering. You may use a dedicated memory location on your implementation though, which would be the closest to using each chip for a dedicated purpose.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ko-Hey,

You may use one Chip Select for both DDR chips, or one Chip Select for each DDR chip. Both figures presented are valid configurations. However, when using two Chip Selects the memories are mapped as a bigger combined memory, not as two separated memories.

I’m not familiar with implementations that use the configuration you mention, using a DDR chip for booting and system memory and another DDR chip dedicated to image buffering. You may use a dedicated memory location on your implementation though, which would be the closest to using each chip for a dedicated purpose.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos