Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso with Azure RTOS gives stack overflow error

Jump to solution
MAUZ
Contributor I

Hi

I am using MCUXpresso IDE V11.3.1 and testing one of the example code (Washing Machine demo from NXP) with Azure RTOS on MIMXRT1064 processor. 

When I break in a thread and look at heap and stack it shows the stack as overflowMAUZ_0-1623279941523.png

In fact it does for any Azure RTOS code inside a thread.

Is is normal or is it a bug?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MAUZ 

I get the internal reply:

The debug feature in MCUXpresso IDE does not support Azure RTOS currently. In Azure RTOS, every thread has its own stack. For example, in the following picture, the stack of thread_0 is from 0x20000718 to 0x20000b17. The current stack pointer is 0x20000af8 in the SP register. So there is no stack overflow here.

kerryzhou_1-1624329577283.png

So, to the Azure RTOS project, we don't need to check the IDE stack, as that is not precise, we need to check each thread stack to check whether it is overflow or not.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MAUZ 

I get the internal reply:

The debug feature in MCUXpresso IDE does not support Azure RTOS currently. In Azure RTOS, every thread has its own stack. For example, in the following picture, the stack of thread_0 is from 0x20000718 to 0x20000b17. The current stack pointer is 0x20000af8 in the SP register. So there is no stack overflow here.

kerryzhou_1-1624329577283.png

So, to the Azure RTOS project, we don't need to check the IDE stack, as that is not precise, we need to check each thread stack to check whether it is overflow or not.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
MAUZ
Contributor I

Thanks a lot for the clarification

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MAUZ 

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

Could you please tell me where you get your mentioned testing Washing Machine demo from NXP?

NXP SDK also contains the Azure RTOS project:

\SDK_2.9.2_EVK-MIMXRT1064\boards\evkmimxrt1064\azure_rtos_examples

Do you test it on your side, whether that has issues or not?

You can download the SDK from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/builder?hw=EVK-MIMXRT1064

Please check it at first.

If you still have issues about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
MAUZ
Contributor I

Thanks for the support.  I downloaded the samples from https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/builder?hw=EVK-MIMXRT1064 as you mentioned. and tried the threadx demo.

I still see the stack overflow when I hit a breakpoint inside a thread. I have shared the screen shot in my original email.

Again the question is why I see the stack overload or this this a bug in the tool

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MAUZ 

Thanks for your confirmation, I have tested the internal new sdk version, also meet your issues, the result is:

kerryzhou_0-1623908912414.png

Please keep patient, I will report it internally to the SDK team to check this issues.

Any updated information, will let you know. 

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
MAUZ
Contributor I

Thank You for investigating.

I look forward to getting a solution.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @MAUZ 

Already in the SDK team process, any updated information will let you know, thanks for your contribution.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos