Looking for Linux Multimedia Module

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Linux Multimedia Module

jhollister
Contributor II

I've been reading the document: "Mentor® Embedded Inflexion UI Runtime for Linux® User and Reference Manual" and it describes a Multimedia Module and gives instructions for building that module and for using it for audio and video playback.

However, I can't find this module anywhere in the InflexionUI-Runtime-2.3 package. Is this module missing in the iMX53 version of the Inflexion runtime, or is it already 'baked in' to the iMX53 runtime, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Jim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

PhilBrumby
Contributor I

Hi Jim,

Sorry for confusing you slightly. By hardware layers I meant that the i.mx53 processors supports multiple hardware layers that can be used for rendering. http://forums.freescale.com/t5/i-MX-Microprocessors/Hardware-layers-on-imx53/td-p/80581

You could implement your UI using a plug-in & module to embedded it into the UI as you say, but I'm aware previously a customer had difficulty with the QS BSP mulitmedia pipeline giving him access to video data in the correct format. My suggestion of using a separate hardware layer to render the video to was their solution and it worked fine. I can only advise querying Freescale on rendering video to a seperate hardware layer as technically it not something i've dealt with.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

0 Kudos

jhollister
Contributor II

Thanks for that tip, but I don't think I understand what you mean. I don't want to animate the video display, but do want to show it in a 'static' rectangular area in my Inflexion-based page. Don't I have to implement a module containing a plug-in to do that? Perhaps my problem is that I don't know what you mean by "make use of hardware layers". I've tried some googling about that but I'm not coming up with much. Can you give me another clue?

0 Kudos

PhilBrumby
Contributor I

Hi Jim,

The Inflexion multimedia module isn't included for use with the iMX5 sorry. One tip is that other users have found it  quicker to make use of hardware layers to overlay video to their UI's. You only really need to fully embed a video via a multimedia module if you want to animated it in some form within your UI.

Hope this helps.

Phil.

0 Kudos

jhollister
Contributor II

Phil,

Thanks for the info. Is the multimedia module available for use with the iMX5? It looks like it would save me a lot of development time.

Jim

0 Kudos

PhilBrumby
Contributor I

Hi Jim,

This is indeed a documentation defect as a multimedia module is not provided with the iMX version of the Inflexion product, sorry. The reference has removed from the docs in the update release of the Inflexion for iMX5 product that is due in the next couple of weeks. (I will post details when this happens)

Phil.

0 Kudos