Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Licensing & User Space

Jump to solution
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello Community,

There is a lot of stuff on the Internet about Linux Licensing and the problems that have been encountered with some of the developers. 

I have been reading about the the exclusion of user space programs and modules from the GPL, but I had some further question about the interfacing of the Hardware and how things work with drivers and the Libraries that are interacting with these drivers.

1. How exactly NXP libraries are designed with respect to the Licensing ? When I would be using these libraries, then will I be needing to disclose my source code because the source code has the Libraries ?

2. If i have some drivers that sit in the Kernel Modules, then it is obvious that the drivers and the source code either needs to be disclosed or should have the statement that states that it will be disclosed under the GPL agreement when asked for. But is it possible to have drivers which sit inside the User Space and user modules and can bypass the source code disclosure.

Are there any links where all questions about Licensing are easily solved ?

Has any one experienced these types of problems with Commercial Software and Linux Confusing License System ?

Thank You for the support and help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For the details of the i.MX Linux BSP by NXP licensing, please refer to the Sections 1.3 "License" and 1.4 "Limited access proprietary packages" of the attached i.MX Linux Release Notes document and to the Section 1.1 "End user licence agreement" of the attached i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide document.

Best Regards,

Artur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

For the details of the i.MX Linux BSP by NXP licensing, please refer to the Sections 1.3 "License" and 1.4 "Limited access proprietary packages" of the attached i.MX Linux Release Notes document and to the Section 1.1 "End user licence agreement" of the attached i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide document.

Best Regards,

Artur

0 Kudos
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Thank you Artur.

0 Kudos