cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JailHouse hypervisor support in imx8

prabhuraj_t
Contributor I

Hello,

I see that JailHouse is supported by nxp on imx8 platform.
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/i.MX_Virtualization_User's_Guide.pdf

However, there are only binaries available for Android P.
Can I get source code for Android support in JailHouse ?
I am looking for inmate cell configurations and how android partitions are handled while loading the JailHouse.

thanks

13 Replies

edwardh
Contributor II

Dear All,

I am also interesting in Jailhouse on i.MX8M Nano status.

i.MX8M Nano seems not supported in "imx-virt-4.14.98-4.11-0.10_ga.xml"

When will it be available on i.MX8M Nano?

My case is with Linux (2*CA53) and NonOS (2*CA53) on i.MX8M Nano.

Does it support "L2 cache partition" on i.MX8M Nano and Jailhouse?

eg. Divide "512KB L2 Cache" into 2 partitions (256KB for Linux and 256KB for NonOS) 

Thanks and best regards,

Edward

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You could try i.MX8MN software release, the release you pointed not include 8MN support. Cache partition currently not supported, but it is planned and will be support in new release in the 1st quarter of 2020.

Kernel & Virtualization Engineer
0 Kudos

edwardh
Contributor II

>> Cache partition currently not supported, but it is planned and will be support in new release in the 1st quarter of 2020.

Does the cache partition mean cache coloring?

I just want to confirm it.

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry typo. yes, cache coloring. Would you mind share your usecase for what production?

0 Kudos

edwardh
Contributor II

The use case is Linux + NonOS. The NonOS portion requires real-time performance (low jitter).

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

i.MX jailhouse code could be accessed from https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-jailhouse/ 

jailhouse only support dual linux, linux plus baremetal. If you would run android, you need customize.

0 Kudos

prabhuraj_t
Contributor I

Hi Peng,

I am trying to boot Android in the inmate cell.

I am able to boot the kernel & dtb, but while I load ramdisk.img I see issue as "execvp No such file or directory"

I use following command to load ramdisk.img :

jailhouse cell linux /path/to/linux.cell /path/to/bzImage \

-i /path/to/initrd -c "console=ttyS0,115200"

Please suggest how I can solve this problem.

Thanks,

Prabhuraj

0 Kudos

guruvendrachowd
Contributor I

Hi ,

I am working on android and yocto linux. Now i need to run both OS on imx8mq-evk target board. Can you suggest me how to proceed further.

I tried to boot yocto linux with jailhouse hypervisor but i am failing while running jailhouse hypervisor in uboot stage.Please suggest me solution for this isuue.

Thanks and regards

Guru

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You need "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/share/jailhouse/tools/" The PATH need include your jailhouse python tools. Then it should work fine.

0 Kudos

aelder
Contributor III

I've seen various comments that indicate that Jailhouse will not run on iMX8M? But it does on other iMX8 devices. Firstly, is that statement correct? And, is it possible to get Jailhouse working on iMX8M? Or is that a development and then support nightmare?

Are there any alternatives that would support getting real-time performance on one (or more) of the A53 cores? By real-time, here I mean sub 40 microsecond latency.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos

Peng_Fan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No. jailhouse is supported on i.MX8M family. See i.MX virt release and new i.MX BSP release. What is your usecase? we are going to support jailhouse cache coloring feature to minimize jitter.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Prabhuraj Tavag,

Only the JailHouse binaries are provided so we do not have further documentation on this regard.

Access to the JailHouse source code for i.MX8 virtualization is not granted as of today, but you may find useful information on how JailHouse works for Android on the Google Developers forums. Also, the JailHouse repositories are open source, so you can access the source code for JailHouse albeit not for NXP’s implementation.

NXP Professional Services may be also of help if you need help customizing a virtualization setup for the i.MX8.
My apologies for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

guruvendrachowd
Contributor I

Hi ,

I want run android and yocto on imx8mqevk board?

weather it is possible with jailhouse hypervisor or something else?

0 Kudos