cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6 dual lite performance difference with eMMC 4.1 vs eMMC 5.0

ravirajns
Contributor II

Hi All,

We are starting our new project based on IMX6 dual lite and need to decide which eMMC to select.

In this we have two options:

A. eMMC 4.41 4GB

B. eMMC 5.0 8GB

Is there any performance difference/improvement  if we use eMMC5.0?

As per my understanding IMX6 support 4.41 and even if we use eMMC5.0 it will fallback to 4.41 and no performance gain. Is this understanding correct. 

Please let me know your comments on this.

Thanks,

Raviraj

Labels (2)
10 Replies

ravirajns
Contributor II

Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks,

Raviraj

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raviraj,

You can refer to EMMC 5.0 and EMMC 5.1 work on i.MX6 . Yes, your understanding is right, the emmc5.0 can work on the emmc4.41 mode.
Have a great day,
Rita

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ravirajns
Contributor II

Thanks Rita for your reply.

I want to check whether both eMMC5.0 and eMMC4.41 performance will be same or not?

Based on your inputs we are planning to use eMMC4.41 (4GB) for our project.

As we understood from datasheet IMX6 DL support up to 4.41 so it means that even if we use eMMC 5.0 performance will be same or it will be better compared to 4.41.

http://www.nxp.com/docs/pcn_attachments/16115_IMX6SDLCEC.pdf

"Multilevel memory system—The multilevel memory system of each processor is based on the L1 instruction and data caches, L2 cache, and internal and external memory. The processors support many types of external memory devices, including DDR3, low voltage DDR3, LPDDR2, NOR Flash, PSRAM, cellular RAM, NAND Flash (MLC and SLC), OneNAND™, and managed NAND, including eMMC up to rev 4.4/4.41"

Thanks,

Raviraj

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raviraj,

Here recommend you to use the eMMC 5.0 8GB. The  emmc5.0 or emmc5.1 performance is better than the emmc4.41. Although the hardware only support the emmc4.41. But in our newest BSP, the driver support the emmc5.0 protocol and the performance is better than emmc4.41. So emmc5.0 or emmc5.1 is better choice.
Have a great day,
Rita

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

ravirajns
Contributor II

Thanks Rita for your inputs.

Do you have read/write performance numbers for both 4.41 and 5.0. This input will help us to finalize eMMC.

Regards,

Raviraj

0 Kudos

ravirajns
Contributor II

Hi Rita,

Do you have any read/write performance data comparison for eMMC 4.41, 4.51 and 5.0.

Can you please help us on this.

Thanks,

Raviraj

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Raviraj,

Sorry I do not have the performance data comparison for eMMC 4.41, 4.51 and 5.0. Details you can see their datasheet.
Have a great day,
Rita

0 Kudos

ravirajns
Contributor II

Ok Rita, I will compare theoretical values from datasheet.

Thanks,

Raviraj 

0 Kudos

ravirajns
Contributor II

Thanks Rita for your inputs.

Regards,

Raviraj

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport