Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve over-scanning problem?

Jump to solution
Tarek
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Part of the console display is hidden when using HDMI TV.

I guess this is due to the TV over-scanning. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Tarek

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Chun-Yi Cheng wrote:

The solution for over-scanning issue was applied into i.MX Android R10.3.1 release.

The kernel patch of Android should also be able to use in Linux.

Please refer to "4.4.5 overscan" of the attached "i.MX_Android_R10.3.1_User_Guide" for more detail information.

Thanks.

• how to apply this feature

We export a property (sys.overscan.percent) to control the overscan percentage, customer can set this property to adjust the width of black border. (sys.overscan.percent = 100*h/H =100*w/W)  The overscan percentage for width and height is the same, sys.overscan.percent Is limited at the range of 0~10.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Chun-Yi Cheng wrote:

The solution for over-scanning issue was applied into i.MX Android R10.3.1 release.

The kernel patch of Android should also be able to use in Linux.

Please refer to "4.4.5 overscan" of the attached "i.MX_Android_R10.3.1_User_Guide" for more detail information.

Thanks.

• how to apply this feature

We export a property (sys.overscan.percent) to control the overscan percentage, customer can set this property to adjust the width of black border. (sys.overscan.percent = 100*h/H =100*w/W)  The overscan percentage for width and height is the same, sys.overscan.percent Is limited at the range of 0~10.

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

would you tell me more detail about your question?

1. which board are you using?

2. which BSP are you using?

3. how to reproduce the problem on the board?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tarek
Senior Contributor I

The board I'm using is Nitrogen 6Q Board from Boundary Devices. The BSP is version 12.08 as I don't have access to 12.09 yet. I'm running Poky distribution and using Yoctoproject openembedded build system.

The board is connected to DGM HD TV using HDMI. Any Linux image that I run (Console or GUI) I find that part of the display around the edges is hidden as if I need to down size the screen to fit into the TV display. This is a common problem and surprisingly there is Android fix from Freescale

https://community.freescale.com/message/271488#271488

I was wondering if there is a similar patch for native Linux?

Thanks

0 Kudos
fengwei
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Usually TV has display settings for over-scanning problems.

0 Kudos
Tarek
Senior Contributor I

It will be easier to change the platform than asking customers to change their TV's !

0 Kudos
fengwei
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, you are right. I'm not the right person to answer this question :-). Let's wait for the golden answer.

0 Kudos