How to disable build of u-boot in "core-image-minimal" ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable build of u-boot in "core-image-minimal" ?

Jump to solution
mb1
Contributor III

In the latest Yocto BSP (4.14.98_ga / sumo) I added a custom machine for our i.MX8M mini machine, added some kernel patches, and some U-Boot patches. All this works fine for i.MX8M Mini. Now I am trying to do this for our i.MX6 based CoMs. It fails when building U-Boot. We don't need U-Boot, because for i.MX6 CoMs we have our own U-Boot. Is there a way when building core-image-minimal to configure "dont build u-boot" ?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mb1
Contributor III

For now I figured out, how to skip it in current Yocto Sumo release.

Use the following command to skip dependencies u-boot and u-boot-imx in building core-image-minimal.

It is important to say, that IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove = has to contain "sdcard". Sdcard image needs u-boot to work.

bitbake -I u-boot -I u-boot-imx  core-image-minimal

You can also set this as a variable:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html

Let me know if there is any better solution.

Regards

Markus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mb1
Contributor III

For now I figured out, how to skip it in current Yocto Sumo release.

Use the following command to skip dependencies u-boot and u-boot-imx in building core-image-minimal.

It is important to say, that IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove = has to contain "sdcard". Sdcard image needs u-boot to work.

bitbake -I u-boot -I u-boot-imx  core-image-minimal

You can also set this as a variable:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html

Let me know if there is any better solution.

Regards

Markus

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Markus Bauer,

Thank you for sharing your findings! I'm sure they will help other community users.

Theoretically you could also use IMAGE_INSTALL_remove += "u-boot-imx" provided that you take into consideration dependencies like removing the sdcard FSTYPE as you pointed out.

Regards,

Niebel-TQ
Contributor IV

Hello,

from my understanding, recipes providing bootloader - may it be uboot-imx our your private U-Boot clone or whateverer - should add in their recipe:

PROVIDES = "virtual/bootloader"

That way, you are able

- to depend on virtual/bootloader in generic recipes

- to add PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader = "your bootloader recipe" to select the bootloader in your machine.conf file

Besides that, if you do not need a bootable image, you can of course remove from IMAGE_FSTYPES

Regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
radhikasomaiya
Senior Contributor II

Hi Markus Bauer,

One can refer the below link to disable building of U-boot.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/318106 

Regards,

Radhika Somaiya.

0 Kudos
mb1
Contributor III

Hey radhika.somaiya@volansystech.com

I've already tried the solutions mentioned there. I don't know what to do with the lines of the files mentioned in the post you linked. Also this post is from 2014, maybe things have changed?

Setting `IMAGE_BOOTLOADER = ""` results in an error also.

Regards

Markus

0 Kudos