How to decide between linux-imx and linux-mainline?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decide between linux-imx and linux-mainline?

patrick_schneid
Contributor I

Hey guys,

so how does one decide which kernel flavor and version to use?

I am currently working on my first linux project on an i.MX6ul coming from low level microcontroller programming. I plowed myself through pages and pages of documentation and tutorials and now have a pretty solid running distro on an eval board. I am currently running a vendor fork of the linux-imx kernel 4.1.15.

So for our first real project on an own board-design we have to face the question which linux kernel to use. As I am seeing it 4.1 is way behind the mainline at the moment lacking a lot of important security updates on the way.

What are reasons to stay on the linux-imx kernel, or what are the reasons (and risks) to switch to the mainline?

Another observation was that the freescale linux-imx git is also stuck at 4.9 for about 8 months now, there seems to be no activity at all? What is the roadmap here? Is the linux-imx still mantained and what are release schedules for it?

Any comments are appreciated and please correct me if I am wrong on something mentioned above as these are my first contacts with linux :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Patrick,

As general view, the mainline BSPs are supported by the Community, and have live updates. On the other hand, there are official NXP releases that are freeze and provides additional features.

For more details, you could refer to the following link:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/323782

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

patrick_schneid
Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

thanks for the answer, I didn't know that thread yet.

I wasn't even talking about bsp's but rather the kernel versions itself and the differences between mainline and the freescale imx fork, but this thread was helpful in understanding.

But why is there no activity at the official freescale git? It's been 8 month now, are the release cycles that long?

I still have a hard time to figure out the criterias to choose which way to go though!

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Patrick,

During last year, official Freescale git data was migrated to CodeAurora:

https://www.codeaurora.org/project/i-mx

Community BSP are still on same domains.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos