How to change the boot screen of Linux 2.6.35 kernel ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the boot screen of Linux 2.6.35 kernel ?

winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

Dear Pals,

I,m currently working on a project where I ve been using freescale SABRE tablet. My manager wants me to change the boot logo of the system.

Currently the boot logo is a small linux penguin on top left corner. I want to use my company logo atleast 600*400 size.

Is there something to be done in the target itself ? or do I have to compile the kernel ? or its the setting to be done on LTIB?

Thanks in advance.

Winston

7 Replies

winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

To change the splash screen of u-boot . ..

# To change the splash screen of u-boot

1. first create a 256 colour 600x400 bmp image in ms paint.

2. convert the image into .h file using bin2txt.py software

3. rename the generated .h file to fsl_bmp_600x400.c

4. run ./ltib -p u-boot -m prep to get the source code

5. backup the file /home/wintu/ltib/rpm/BUILD/u-bootxxx/boards/freescale/common/fsl_bmp_600x400.c

6. replace the file fsl_bmp_600x400.c with your own creatd in 3rd step.

7. add some C code definition lines by comparing to the original fsl_bmp_600x400.c file

8. save it.

9. run ./ltib

Thanks Rostislav for information. . .

so finally m up with both the splash screens of uboot and kernel. heres how i did it.

#To change the splash screen of linux kernel (small penguine on top left corner)..

When Linux takes control of the board it initializes the LCD controller and Framebuffer again.

To maintain the splash screen on the LCD you can replace the Linux Logo with the figure used for

the splash screen, the side effect is a blink when Linux takes over the LCDC.

To achieve this, create a new image in Gimp (or use bmptoppm command) and save it as ".ppm". Copy it to Linux

"logo" folder <ltib_path>/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.31/drivers/video/logo

Run:

ppmquant -mapfile clut_vga16.ppm "my_image.ppm" | pnmnoraw > logo_linux_vga16.ppm

ppmquant -mapfile clut_vga16.ppm "my_image.ppm" | pnmnoraw > logo_linux_clut224.ppm

then rebuild the kernel

done!

after booting in u -boot . . . do this!!

>setenv splashimage ‘0x97c90000’          //starting address of boot splash file
>setenv splashpos ‘0,0’                   //image position. 1024 vs 768
>setenv lvds_num 1                     

>saveenv

>reset

swapneelsangar
Contributor II

Hiiii

I want to change splash screen in uboot . But I can't find the software bin2txt.py for convert the image into .h file.

Please send me a link to install software.

swapneel

0 Kudos

rostislav
Contributor III

Great!

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please look at section "Splash screen support" in U-boot document (in Linux documentation package).

rostislav
Contributor III

Small Linux penguin is printed by kernel.

The file displaying and the code responsible for displaying are in kernel's drivers/video/logo directory.

Kernel rebuild is required.

winstonrodrigue
Contributor IV

Hi yuri,

Thanks for the reply...

I found the document. but one problem

it says "Need to modify boards’ config files. The config file is under include/configs/<board_name>.h."

so what is my board name ? as far as i know im using SABRE tablet and the board name is imx53smd. but the file with that name does not exists in include/configs..

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The file mx53_smd.h presents in "include/configs".
I looked at U-boot sources from LTIB package after

$ ./ltib -m prep -p u-boot