How many video streams can the i.MX 8M Plus can encode HEVC/H.265 simultaneously?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many video streams can the i.MX 8M Plus can encode HEVC/H.265 simultaneously?

Jump to solution
rajhlinux
Contributor II

Hello,

The i.MX 8M Plus seems to be a powerful SoC with a good price point of many different models.

I am solely interested with the i.MX 8M Plus SoCs for it's built in HEVC/H.265 Video Encoding @ 1080p60 capabilities.

I read a "Press Release" (Jan 6, 2020) for the i.MX 8M Plus and it states:

"The i.MX 8M Plus extends advanced multimedia, and video processing with a system that can compress multiple video feeds using the H.265 or H.264 HD video encoder and decoder for cloud streaming or local storage and a rich user experience enabled by 3D/2D graphics, and Immersiv3D audio with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X®."

So the question is, exactly how many video feeds can the i.MX 8M Plus encode to HEVC/H.265?

I have about ten USB 3.0 1920x1080P 60FPS capture cards, which all of them streams out MJPG. Can I use the i.MX 8M Plus to do some serious and effective transcoding by decoding the MJPG feed and then encoding to HEVC on the fly for all ten capture cards simultaneously?

Or better yet, just have the i.MX 8M Plus to do straight encoding (no decoding) of raw video streams from ten USB 3.0 1920x1080P 60FPS capture cards?

Thanks for any information.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rajhlinux,

The iMX8Mplus can support encoding of 4 H.265 simultaneously, 2 via MIPI and 2 via USB.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies
zyolcu913
Contributor I

Hi,

Is there any capability for ethernet rtsp stream decoding ? 1080p 20fps how many stream that we can decode with out using cpu too much ?

or only usb and mipi decoding support exist ?

0 Kudos
rajhlinux
Contributor II

Good question. I also have the same question.

I think maximum is most likely 4 simultaneous decode without CPU doing the decode since the i.MX 8M Plus have built in h265/hevc transcoder.

0 Kudos
rajhlinux
Contributor II

Hello, thank you very much for your answer.

What about using ethernet data? What if I was able to supply the i.MX 8M Plus with 10 MJPG video streams, can it encode all of them to H265 simultaneously?

i.MX 8M Plus is capable of two Gigabit Ethernet with AVB.

Also, what about the two "Image Signal Processor" the i.MX 8M Plus contains, what use can I make out from the ISP?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rajhlinux,

The iMX8Mplus can support encoding of 4 H.265 simultaneously, 2 via MIPI and 2 via USB.

Regards