Generating encrypted BEE bootable XIP image

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating encrypted BEE bootable XIP image

navoda
Contributor II

I have been trying to generate encrypted bootable XIP images for my MIMXRT1020 EVK.

1. Using MCUBootUtility

- I downloaded latest MCUBootUtility version from https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility by @kerryzhou.  

- I could not access the image_enc.exe in the Baidu server. (Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me why the file is not included in the github repo or placed at a more accessible location like Google Drive. If it's something official from NXP, I would expect it to be on NXP website. I came across multiple forum posts asking for the same file). In the end I managed to download it from this forum post: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/image-enc2-zip-download/m-p/1174074 

I guess the versions of MCUBootUtility and the image_enc.exe are not compatible. When I try to generate an encrypted file from the MCUBootUtility, I see an error saying "Unsupported argument" in the terminal. (Screenshot attached)

I tried running the image_enc.exe manually. Turned out that the "hw_eng=bee" option provided by the MCUBootUtility is not supported by image_enc.exe. But even when that is removed, I get the following error when I try to encrypt the image, even though the start and length of the region are multiples of 1024 (0x400).

Command:

image_enc.exe
ifile=ivt_evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_unsigned.bin
ofile=ivt_evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_unsigned_bee_encrypted.bin
base_addr=0x60000000
region0_key=0123456789abcdeffedcba9876543210
region0_arg=1,[0x60001000,0x2000,0]
region0_lock=0
use_zero_key=1
is_boot_image=1 

Result:

Invalid FAC region range, both start and length must be 1024-byte aligned.

2. Using MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool (SPT)

- I managed to generate an unsigned bootable image and run successfully. 

- Then I generated images with "Boot Type" set to "XIP Encrypted (BEE User Keys) Unsigned". This generated 3 files.

1. evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_bootable.bin
2. evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_bootable_nopadding.bin
3. evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_nopadding.bin

Of these 3 files, only (3) seems to be encrypted. But when I load it to the EVK, it doesn't run. 

Pleas let me know if I am doing something wrong/missing any steps.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @navoda ,

Next time, if you have the RT issues, please post the question here:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/bd-p/imxrt

Answer your questions:

1. MCUbootUtility tool  image_enc.exe  download

Yes, it is not the official one, maybe you have limit to access it, so you can use our official tool, SPT tool

2. About SPT tool

Do you already read my post:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT-Knowledge-Base/RT1015-APP-BEE-encryption-operation-method/ta-p/...

The BEE need to burn the fuse, and BOOT_CFG1[0], Encrypted XIP should be enabled:

kerryzhou_0-1651717599621.png

Otherwise, the BEE boot will be failed.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

navoda
Contributor II

Hi @kerryzhou ,

Thanks for the quick response. And sorry about posting in the wrong forum. 

I did see the forum post you mentioned. Here are the steps followed with the SPT tool. I have attached a zip file with screenshots, bin files and logs.

1. Generated a bootable XIP image of the LED blink exmple from MCUXpresso IDE with XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE=0
    • 1 - MCUXpresso Project Properties.png
  2. Encrypted the image using the Secure Provisioning Tool
    • 2 - SPT Build Image Config.png
    • 3 - SPT Write Image Config.png
    • 4 - SPT-image-write-log.log
    • 5 - SPT-generated-evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky_nopadding.bin
  3. Set  the EncryptedXIP bit to 1
    • 6 - Fuse Map.png
    • 7 - Fuse Map - Cfg0.png
  4. When programming the first time, BEE_KEY_SEL0 fuse got burnt to SW-GP2, and the SW-GP2 was burnt with the user key
    • 8 - Fuse Map - Cfg1.png
    • 9 - OTP Configuration.png
  5. Programmed the board
  6. Set the SW8 switches to 1-ON, 2-OFF, 3-ON, 4-OFF and reset the board
    • 10 - SW8 state.png
  7. The LED was not blinking
  8. Read back the image from 0x60000000 to 0x60006000 for the encrypted image that was not working and for an unencrypted image that was working fine.
    • readback-encrypted.dat
    • readback-unencrypted.dat

Have I missed something?

0 Kudos