Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENC28J60 Kernel Module

Jump to solution
ajmorris
Contributor II

Hi there,

I am trying to interface to the ENC28J60 ethernet card on my i.mx23 evk board. I don't want to do nfs booting, just use the card for TCP/IP communication, however, when i try to load the kernel module it errors out without a helpful error. The error it gives is:

$ insmod enc28j60.ko debug ffff

enc28j60: module is already loaded

insmod: error inserting 'enc28j60.ko': -1 Invalid parameters

The module is not loaded as it gets an invalid argument error on boot (the error without debug).

I can't figure out why this is happening, i'm unable to find a bug on the internet where this was rectified with a patch, so i assume i have done something wrong in my compile. I tried to use the pre-compiled sdk images to verify the integrity of the error in the driver, but they do not boot when flashed to my SD card, also with no errors saved to syslog or output to the terminal, it seems to just stop without providing a tty login, so im stuck with my compiled freescale ltib on 2.6.31 imx kernel. Currently, i can't determine whether i am getting an error in parameters parsed externally to the driver, or if it is internally in the driver. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

SD card and ENC28J60 cannot work simultaneously with imx233 as they share the same ssp1 pins on EVK. To make them work simultaneously, you will need to connect either SD or ENC28J60 to ssp2 by hacking on PCB. imx233 does not have 5V output. You need to provide 5V to the USB device by external regulator or power supply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

SD card and ENC28J60 cannot work simultaneously with imx233 as they share the same ssp1 pins on EVK. To make them work simultaneously, you will need to connect either SD or ENC28J60 to ssp2 by hacking on PCB. imx233 does not have 5V output. You need to provide 5V to the USB device by external regulator or power supply.

0 Kudos