Configuring the parallel camera IO pins.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the parallel camera IO pins.

Jump to solution
camz
Contributor I

I'm helping design a board based on the i.MX6Q processor.

The design has a parallel camera that will use the Bayer/Raw data mode to receive 16-bits of camera data.

I have planned to use the CSI0_DAT0 thru CSI0_DAT15 inputs, but in looking at the Sabre for Smart Devices reference schematic, the connection of the OV5642 parallel camera uses CSI0_DAT12 thru CSI0_DAT19 for an 8-bit input stream.  When not using all 20-bits for input, should I be using the high bits, or the low bits?

The i.MX6Q reference manual skims over the various modes and leaves out a lot of details on how to configure and hook up camera inputs, if there is a document that describes this, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,

Camz.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

When not using all 20-bits for input, one should use the high bits.

Regarding docs please check i.MX_6Dual6Quad_BSP_Porting_Guide.pdf,

i.MX_6Dual6Quad_Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf

L3.0.35_4.1.0_LINUX_DOCS

For software examples it is better to look for Community.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

When not using all 20-bits for input, one should use the high bits.

Regarding docs please check i.MX_6Dual6Quad_BSP_Porting_Guide.pdf,

i.MX_6Dual6Quad_Linux_Reference_Manual.pdf

L3.0.35_4.1.0_LINUX_DOCS

For software examples it is better to look for Community.

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
camz
Contributor I

Awesome, thank you!

One other related question.

Although the camera interface will be operated in 16-bit mode, we only have 14 bits of data from the camera, so will be setting the two most-significant bits to 0.

If we instead just configure those pins for alternate functions, instead of connecting them to ground, what values would the camera interface read for those bits when they aren't physically connected to the pads via the IOmux?  We've almost run out of spare pins, so getting two more pins back for use as GPIOs would be fantastic.

Camz.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

I am afraid that internally they will be floating,

so camera interface will read random data for those bits.

Best regards

igor

camz
Contributor I

Thanks.

0 Kudos