cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the booting logo and splash screen in imx6 SoloX

Jump to solution
gokhansahin
Contributor III

I'm developing an application in Qt on imx6Solox. I created the image with Wayland and its kernel version is 4.15.2.1.0. I'm wondering how to change the Nxp logo while is shown the system is booting. Also, can I upload a video in splash screen? If yes, how? Finally, I want to make my own distro or OS for imx, how can I make this? Could you suggest me a book or an article to make these?

Tags (2)
1 Solution
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos
32 Replies
yufe
Contributor II

ycoto splash screen is a recipe, you can rebuild rootfs in yocto's way, or make it manual. 

GitHub - g0hl1n/psplash: Very simple boot splash screen - forked from: http://git.yoctoproject.org/g... 

ootput file psplash and psplash-write is in rootfs's /usr/bin/ dir.

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi  Bharghavi K,

What you see in the above pic is Plash Screen not Boot logo,Then you need change the Plash Screen,please do the following steps :

convert yourimage.* to yourimage.h, then follow below steps,

1) copy the myimage.h to ../../../sources/poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/psplash/files/myimage.h.

2) MACHINE=your-machine-name  source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build –e fb.
3) bitbake your-image-name.

BR

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hi nandish,

Thank u,I converted the image .* to myimage.h.Copied to fsl-community-bsp/sources/poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/psplash/files/

While executing ->MACHINE=wandboard  source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build -e fb

I'm getting as like below mentioned.

bash: fsl-setup-release.sh: No such file or directory.

How can i solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi  Bhargavi K,

Step1:

First you need to change the image format from ( * = your image name)

a) *.png  to *.pnm 

b) *.pnm to *ppm

Step2:

Replace the your converted *.ppm file with original  *.ppm file  in .../git/driver/video/logo/*.ppm

Step3:

Recompile your zImage or uImage or Image (The one which Image you are using for your board). by using your Cross Compiler,  Now Task is done and re-flash the image to your SD-card,

I hope i am clear with this, after done this task if not please let me know ,

Best Regards,

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hi nandish gurulingappa,

I tried the above u suggested steps.After power on the my wandboardboard-quad it is displaying wandboard.org logo not displaying my logo.I followed steps as mentioned below is any wrong  please let me know.My actual image is below mentioned.

whileboot.png

Converted .png to .pnm and .pnm to .ppm

step-1.

-->pngtopnm whileboot.png > linuxlogo.pnm

-->pnmquant 224 linuxlogo.pnm > linuxlogo224.pnm

-->pnmtoplainpnm linuxlogo224.pnm > linuxlogo224.ppm

step-2.

Later moved the linuxlogo224.ppm file to build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-wandboard/3.10.17-r0/git/drivers/video/logo replaced it as logo_linux_clut224.ppm

step-3.

Compiled the image

-->bitbake core-image-minimal

The image flashed to sdcard by below command

-->sudo dd if=tmp/deploy/images/wandboard-quad/core-image-minimal-wandboard-quad.sdcard of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sudo sync

And finally verified on my target board its not displayed my logo.What is the issue?Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi Bharghavi K,

What you see in the above pic is Plash Screen not Boot logo,Then you need change the Plash Screen,please do the following steps :

convert yourimage.* to yourimage.h, then follow below steps,

1) copy the myimage.h to ../../../sources/poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/psplash/files/myimage.h.

2) MACHINE=your-machine-name source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build –e fb.

BR

Nandish SG

nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi Bhargavi K

That image I uploaded Right ?

BR

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi kk d,

apologize for late reply, Based on your quires my solutions is below, 

I hope you know how to convert yourimage.* to yourimage.h, then follow below steps,

2) MACHINE=your-machine-name  source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build –e fb.

Best Regards,

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
gvsreddy
Contributor II

Hi nandishgurulingappa

I followed your steps as u mentioned above.

I converted myimage1.png image to myimage1.h file and I replaced image.h(imx6 logo) with myimage1.h file. and it successfully displayed on splash screen. for this image bitbake runs around 30 tasks outof 7024.

But when I tried with some other image say myimage2.h its still showing previous image myimage1.h for this image bitbake runs 0 tasks.  I think problem is with bitbake and also I tried following commads

"bitbake psplash -c cleansstate"

"bitbake psplash"

and also "bitbake -c cleansstate"

Still no luck. Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance

SubbaReddy GV

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi SubbaReddy Garu,

You need to clean the all obj file which were generated during compilation ,Please try with the below commands,

1) ./setup-environment build (build = your directory name for where the source code present)

2) bitbake -c cleansstate linux-imx

3) bitbake

after this copy the image to sd card and please let me know,

Best Regards,

Nandish S.G

0 Kudos
gvsreddy
Contributor II

Hi Nandish,

I run "bitabake -c cleansstate linux-esomimx6" image successfully changed again when I tried with other image its not flashing on screen.

Thank you

SubbaReddy GV

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hi,

I Converted .png image to .ppm and copied to this location /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-24/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.ppm

I converted .png image to myimage.h and copied to ../sources/poky/meta-yocto/recipes-core/psplash/files/myimage.h.

MACHINE=wandboard-quad and source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build -e fb.After executing the source setup i got no such file or directory below mentioned.

bash: fsl-setup-release.sh: No such file or directory.

I tried with  . ./setupenvironment build, bitbake core-image-minimal.

Copied to sdcard and verified in my wandboard-quad,its not displaying my logo.Can you please tell me where the issue is and suggest me how to solve the issue.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hi Bhargavi K.

Please try with the below commands:

1) export MACHINE=wandboard-quad

2) ./setup-environment build

3) bitbake your-image-name

BR

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hi nandish,

I tried the above steps u suggested.I'm not able to get my logo,its displaying wandboard logo.

I found in this path wandboard logo is present  build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2014.10+gitAUTOINC+5fd0b607d0-r0/git/tools/logos.

The logo is .bmp

wandboard.bmp

After flashing sdcard and placed in wandboard-quad its displaying above logo.How to find in sdcard logos are presented?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hello Bhargavi K,

The above steps build your image right ?,

Then you need to change the logo file .i.e

Step1:

first change the .bmp file to .png file then do below steps.

-->pngtopnm linuxlogo.png > linuxlogo.pnm

Step2:

Replace the your converted *.ppm file with original *.ppm file in build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2014.10gitAUTOINC5fd0b607d0-r0/git/tools/logos.

Step 3:

Recompile your Image,

After doing the above steps please let me know.

BR

Nandish SG

bhargavik
Contributor II

nandish gurulingappa wrote:

Hello  Bhargavi K,

The above steps build your image right ?,

Then you need to change the logo file .i.e

Step1:

first change the .bmp file to .png file then do below steps.

-->pngtopnm linuxlogo.png > linuxlogo.pnm

Step2:

Replace the your converted *.ppm file with original  *.ppm file in build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2014.10gitAUTOINC5fd0b607d0-r0/git/tools/logos.

Step 3:

Recompile your Image,

After doing the above steps please let me know.

BR

Nandish SG

The above builded image is right.I changed the logo file .bmp to ppm as per u suggested.Converted .ppm logo replaced in above given path.Still persist same logo,not able to display mylogo.I'm getting wandboardlogo.

wandboard.bmp

I want to display the yocto project logo below mentioned in attachment .I attached screen shot of the ppm and bmp images.Please find the attachments and let me know where is the issue?

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hello Bhargavi K,

Nothing to do with SD Card, it’s just a storage device,

Please Find the PPM files where it is present in your source code,

BR

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hi Nandish,

Thanks for replying.I found the PPM file is in build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-wandboard/3.10.17-r0/git/drivers/video/logo.Still i didn't solved my issue.Please suggest me the procedure for changing logo on wandboard-quad using yocto.

Thanks in advance

Bhargavi K

0 Kudos
nandishguruling
Contributor III

Hello Bhargavi K,

Please find the path for Wand-board image along with the .ppm file, there you can put your *.ppm file and recompile,

BR

Nandish SG

0 Kudos
bhargavik
Contributor II

Hello Nandish,

The path for wandboard.org image is build/tmp/work/wandboard_quad-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-fslc/v2014.10gitAUTOINC5fd0b607d0-r0/git/tools/logos.But in that path all images are .bmp  none of the image are .ppm. As mentioned in above  attached screenshot file.I removed the wandboard logo in that path.After recompiling same image it is displaying on wandboard-quad.I want to get to know the image already deleted but how it is displaying ?or i have to check in sdcard while placing on wandboard-quad?

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos