cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6-bit LCD with IMX6

jemish_1990
Contributor IV

Hi All,

• We are going to make new product based on IMX6 in which we are exploring different options for LCD.
  • In which as one option we are considering 6-bit LCD (APEX: (Model Number) TAE0200THFR20N :: 240 x 320 )
  • I have gone through datasheet of IMX6 and it seems that there is where mention of 6-bit LCD output.
  • Before proceeding further we want to confirm is it possible to use 6-bit LCD with IMX6 or not.

Thanks,

Jemish

0 Kudos
3 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jemish,

I searched for the LCD part number that you mentioned, but I wasn’t able to find related information.

Regarding i.MX6 side, you may be more specific which member of the i.MX6 family is intended to be used.

Anyway, as a general advice for LCD screens with fewer color pins, they will affect the amount of different colors capable of be shown by the LCD. For example, a 24-bits LCD on 888 configuration will have 8 bits per color (RGB) up to 16M colors, while 16-bits may be 565 configuration up to 65K colors. In case that your screen is 6-bits, it will be capable to display up to 64 different colors using the most significant bits of the LCD controller lines, but you need to ensure that the additional control lines are also available in order to guarantee compatibility.

Hope this will be useful for you.

Best regards!

/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jemish_1990
Contributor IV

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your quick response and detailed answer!

Sorry about the missing information. You can find LCD datasheet at below link.

Dropbox - 2inch 240x320 IPS 200cd TAE0200THFR20N.PDF 

IMX6 part number: MCIMX6Q6AVT10AD
You are right that while using 6-bit LCD we may loose color information. But what we want confirm right now weather it is supported with IMX6 or not.

Please let me know if I am missing anything else.

Thanks,

Jemish

0 Kudos

jemish_1990
Contributor IV

Hi All,

I got my answer from below post:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/334641

And concluded that there is no such support in IPU microcode. So we will not use 6 bit LCD.

We can close this discussion.

0 Kudos