i.MX6: Android connect to ADB

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the old Android release R10.3.x for i.MX5x, I had followed the user guide instructions to install the USB driver and am able to setup the ADB connection successfully. Unfortunately, for the same PC, the ADB fails to detect my i.MX6SL EVK which is using R13.5. Updating the Android SDK tools cannot help.

The reason is the new Android device is using a different USB VID from the old release. So, to solve this problem, we need to update the ADB configuration to scan for the new vendor ID. Below are the steps to update the ADB configuration for Windows PC. These steps (and the steps for Linux PC as well) can also be found in the R10,3.x user guide.

1. Run the SDK's tools to generate an ADB configure file:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools> android.bat update adb

2. Modify the adb usb configure file to add the new vendor id 0x18d1.

File: X:\Profile\<your account>\.android\adb_usb.ini

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.

# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.

# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.

0x15a2

0x18d1

3. Unpack the Freescale Android USB win driver "android_usb_fsl.zip" in your Android BSP release package. If you can't find this file in your current package, please get the R10.3.x release for i.MX5x and unpack it.

4. File "tetherxp.inf" in the unpacked "android_usb_fsl" may not be the updated one if the "android_usb_fsl.zip" is extracted from an old release. So, please overwrite the file "tetherxp.inf" in unpacked "android_usb_fsl.zip" by the new "tetherxp.inf" in your current Android BSP release.

5. Enable the "USB debugging" option on the i.MX6 device

System settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging

6. Connect the Android Device into PC, uninstall your old driver named "Android Phone" in the device manager, then re-install driver by scanning and locating .inf file under the directory you unpack the android_usb_fsl.zip manually.

7. Restart the ADB server

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools> adb kill-server

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools> adb start-server

8. Finally, test your ADB connection

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools> adb devices

List of devices attached

0123456789ABCDEF     device

Congratulations! Your ADB is now working. If you have additional information about this topic, please feel free to comment.

This document was generated from the following discussion: i.MX6: Android connect to ADB

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
Comments

Hello i am able to connect to the imx6 board via USB but can not access by its local network IP address i can ping the device but adb says unable to connect the board is running on the imx6 demo android image.

I don't know where to find R10.3.x release for i.MX5x download. And I don't know where to put those files afterwards.

How to run this on ubuntu 16.04 environment

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎06-26-2013 07:21 AM
Updated by: