cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX disable semihosting on Vybrid

Jump to solution
tfe
Contributor V

A am currently attempting to load an MQX application using a third-party boot-loader (U-Boot). U-Boot itself has been configured to work with my board (a custom Vybrid vf610-based board), and confirmed to function properly.

The MQX application is loaded into U-Boot using CKermit and the "loadb"-command. Before loading, elf-image is converted into a binary using the fromelf-utility, and then packed using the U-Boot "mkimage"-utility, which has been adapted to support booting for MQX (if interested in how I did this, let me know) using the following command:

$ fromelf --bin  --output=mqxapp.bin mqxapp.axf && ${UBOOT_ROOT}/tools/mkimage -A arm -O mqx -T standalone -C none -a 0x80000000 -d mqxapp.bin mqxapp.img

The load addresses has been cross-checked with mapfile.txt and correspond with the indicated entry-point.

The image header of the image is correctly read by U-Boot and the CRC verified:

## Checking Image at 81000000 ...

Legacy image found

Image Name:

Image Type:   ARM MQX Standalone Program (uncompressed)

Data Size:    283956 Bytes = 277.3 KiB

Load Address: 80000000

Entry Point:  80000000

Verifying Checksum ... OK

I am currently working on a Linux host-system (Ubuntu 14.04) using "ARM DS-5" and "ULINKpro D" debugger.

The issue I am experiencing is that MQX does not actually load unless a debugging session is running. In order to launch a debugging session when loading from U-Boot, I first load MQX into DDR using CKermit before start the debugger using the "Connect Only"-option in the configuration. I then halt the target and load the elf-file mqxapp.axf. Upon doing this, I get the following message in the Debug-view:

Semihosting server socket created at port 8000

Semihosting enabled automatically due to semihosting symbol detected in image 'mqxapp.axf'

set debug-from main

When I continue execution, I am still in U-Boot and able to load boot the image using the "bootm"-command. U-Boot then behaves as expected and loads MQX. From there MQX runs as expected.

However, when not starting the debugger, MQX does not run, executing flow ends up in one of the fault-traps in U-Boot.

From what I can see, the issue may be related to semihosting. I am using MQX's built-in printf, which seems to using semihosting in some way.

Thus, is there a way of disabling semihosting in MQX? A simple release-build does not seem to work.

Labels (3)
1 Solution
tfe
Contributor V

Thanks to Nicolas I was able to solve the issue. The solution consisted of adding a file "retarget.c" containing the following two functions:

void _sys_exit(int return_code);

void _ttywrch(int ch);

"retarget.c" also contained to followin #pragma:

#pragma import(__use_no_semihosting_swi)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
oldyear
Contributor II

Hey Thomas,

I had an issue with semihosting recently and put in a support ticket with ARM for their DS-5 development suite. They supplied me with this page showing how to disable semi-hosting.

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0475k/chr1358938917495.html.

All the best,

Nick

tfe
Contributor V

Thank you Nicholas, this is very helpful.

After some reading, I find that ARM have introduced a concept of "retargeting" some IO-functions (typically STDIO-related).

I have found several resources on how to achieve this on other platforms:

Sticky Bits » Blog Archive » Rehosting ARMCC for the mbed with CMSIS-DAP

http://fossies.org/linux/wolfssl/IDE/MDK-ARM/MDK-ARM/wolfSSL/Retarget.c

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.faqs/attached/3844/retarget.c

Is there a way of seamlessly achieving this with MQX on Vybrid?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
tfe
Contributor V

Thanks to Nicolas I was able to solve the issue. The solution consisted of adding a file "retarget.c" containing the following two functions:

void _sys_exit(int return_code);

void _ttywrch(int ch);

"retarget.c" also contained to followin #pragma:

#pragma import(__use_no_semihosting_swi)

0 Kudos
tfe
Contributor V

After some troubleshooting, it seems that the problem occurs somewhere in the "scatterload"-functions. Is there something platform-specific going on here that I have missed?

0 Kudos