Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java on Vybrid

Jump to solution
cerma
Contributor IV

Hello,

Is it possible to run java application on Vybrid?

Do I can use JVM for ARM?

If so, what I should to do to make it work?

Labels (7)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 Kudos
sanchayanmaity
Contributor III

Hello,

Yes, Java can be used on the Vybrid. What exactly are you running on the Vybrid? Linux? Which distribution?

For example, in case of Angstrom distribution with an OpenEmbedded build, java can be installed using the meta-java layer.

- Sanchayan.

0 Kudos
cerma
Contributor IV

Currently I am trying get to work most recent version of yocto (1.8). It would be awesome if it would be more like arm (i.MX6) where I could download kernel code and change it as I like and than recompile. So far is yocto very confusing for me. So you could provide some manual and (or) something what would be similar to working with classic kernel I would highly appreciate it.

My idea is as follows:

- run some Linux distribution (ideally Debian based) and be able to change kernel config and maybe DTS

- get JVM to work for user space apps

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hi Jaroslav,

While your Yocto build will not generate a Debian-based image, you can still change the kernel configuration and device tree source for the Vybrid kernel in this build. I would recommend creating a custom layer, where in this layer, you can override the kernel defconfig to change the kernel configuration, and add a patch to the kernel source (or change the kernel source URI altogether), in order to change the device tree source. Here is some more information about creating a custom layer for your Yocto build:

Yocto Project Board Support Package Developer's Guide

As Sanchayan said, you can download and include the meta-java layer in your Yocto build. The meta-java layer can provide numerous Java utilities for your build, including the JamVM JVM.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

sanchayanmaity
Contributor III

Hello,

May be the following article on our Blog will be of help

https://www.toradex.com/blog/the-yocto-projects-reference-distribution-poky-on-toradex-hardware

Do you have your own hardware or are you using Vybrid Tower platform? The meta-fsl-arm layer has the MACHINE twr-vf65gs10 for building for Tower boards.

meta-fsl-arm - Layer containing Freescale ARM hardware support metadata

It uses the 4.1 kernel

OpenEmbedded Metadata Index - linux-fslc

You can in fact download a mainline kernel even and use it. You would need a Yocto build with the meta-java layer added for adding java to the image build.

- Sanchayan.

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport​ can you share your comments here?

0 Kudos