Freescale H.I.T Project #3: MonkeyDo

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Summary

monkey%20plug2.pngIn this project, you will learn how to do basic electrical automation and control via the web.  Think of the NEST.... only more open and hackable!   Using Websockets, Javascipt and HTML5,  you will have a simple way of viewing remote data and be able to control some solid state relays.   This framework will allow you to create more complex IoT applications.    The example will combine a FRDM-K64F and a FRDM-AUTO to read a temperature sensor and control a solid state relay.

Skills Developed:

• Embedded Systems Networking
  • Electrical Control Systems
  • HTML5/Javascript - Websockets
  • SOIC8 and 1206 Surface mount soldering
  • Internet of "Things"

Materials:

FRDM-K64F
FRDM board.PNG
FRDM-AUTO
FRDM-AUTO.jpg

Development Tools

mbed.org

Google Chrome

Notepad++

Example Code

mbed.org

Github

Step 0: Prerequisite Videos

The videos are organized into a nice YouTube playlist:

Step 1: Get a FRDM-AUTO & FRDM-K64

The build package is on the FRDM-AUTO site.   Note that for this exercise you only need to build the "OPTION 1" version.  Please let us know if you are interested in a pre-assembled version.  If there is enough demand we will get a lot assembled for purchase, I will get a Kickstarter going!   Don't be afraid to build it yourself,  Soldering is fun!  There is plenty of good stuff on the web on how to do SMT soldering.  All of the parts on the board are fairly simply once you get the hang of it and everything can be hand soldered  The key is having some decent tools.

Step 2: Put it Together

Assemble the FRDM-AUTO and K64F.   When you get started, do NOT hook up anything to the solid state relays until you are sure  things are working.

Skull.png

WARNING:   Wiring to household power can be dangerous!   You are 100% responsible for what you do. Be careful and never apply power until you fundamentally understand what you are wiring up!

Step 3: Download

If you have never used the mbed environment,   make sure to careful read this page.   Get the "blinky" programming working before you try anything else.

Download the example firmware to the FRDM-K64F.    Make sure to press the reset button.

Step 4: Follow Along

Make sure to watch the demo video.   Load the example javascript pages from the github repo and recreate what you see in the demo video.   Note:   You should NOT use the websocket server used in the demo code.     When you register for an mbed account, you automatically get your own websocket server channel. See Websocket server by Mbed.

Step 5: Hack and Slash!

Make something cool!   Be cool and publish your work!

Some Ideas to Extend the System

• Get the opto-couplers into the Websocket system and see if you can report their state
  • Make a basic thermostat using the temperature sensor and relay to control a heater. Report status via the websockets interface

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎07-04-2014 04:46 PM
Updated by: