cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line sensor

Jump to solution
JurajKosal
Contributor I

What kind of sensor can be used as line sensor in Europe ? Is it possible to use for example VGA camera ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FlavioStiffan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I clearly repeat the rules: VGA CMOS camera is ok but no additional computing power allowed. The Freescale MCU on the car is the ONLY computing system. If the product chosen has an embedded processing unit, then it is out of rules. Technical report must be provided for any car enrolled into the and the technical inspection will be the certifying the car before the race.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CiuntuMaxim
Contributor I

What about a VGA camera module which contains a OV7670 chip integrated in it? Could we use this module and its image processing features?

0 Kudos
FlavioStiffan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The camera is considered as a sensor. Per the rules, you can add a number of sensors to your car. So yes, you can do that as long as you do not add a processing unit to the car (the MCU Kinetis or MPC5604B must be the only one on board).

0 Kudos
RichardBalogh_n
Contributor II

But the problem is, OV7670 camera chip contains an integrated image processor (see OmniVision product page).

According my opinion, this sensor violates rules. Otherwise I could design e.g.line sensor with 24 infrared LEDs

and single processing unit declaring it as a "sensor".

0 Kudos
FlavioStiffan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I clearly repeat the rules: VGA CMOS camera is ok but no additional computing power allowed. The Freescale MCU on the car is the ONLY computing system. If the product chosen has an embedded processing unit, then it is out of rules. Technical report must be provided for any car enrolled into the and the technical inspection will be the certifying the car before the race.

0 Kudos
FlavioStiffan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The line camera that is supplied is the standard camera. You can add cameras and sensors to your car. If you decide to add a VGA you can as the rules clearly say that the line camera is not part of the unaltered equipment list (see rules in Section 3).

0 Kudos
AndresDoebel
Contributor I

I would like to know that too, since we're planing to use an RCA camera. There are no camera specs in the rules!

0 Kudos