cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnetometer Isolate from Interference

Jump to solution
ives
Contributor I

Hi! How are you? Thanks for taking time to read my e-mail. I'm trying to use a magnetometer to identify the direction that it is pointing. I am able to calibrate the magnetometer in the lab and measure the right angle in degrees. The problem is that the magnetometer has to measure the right angle if it is placed on a metal and I will not be able to recalibrate it. Can you help me with two questions?

1. Do you know something (material) to use to isolate the magnetometer from ferromagnetic materials?

2. Do you know if the magnetometer has to be recalibrated after a long time (> 1 year)?

Best regards,

Ives Oliveira.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ives,

1. There is no way to shield the magnetometer since you would also shield it from the Earth's magnetic field you want to measure.

2. Yes, both the environmental interference and temperature variations can throw off initial one-time calibration. Our reference software calibrates typically every few minutes to track these variations.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ives,

1. There is no way to shield the magnetometer since you would also shield it from the Earth's magnetic field you want to measure.

2. Yes, both the environmental interference and temperature variations can throw off initial one-time calibration. Our reference software calibrates typically every few minutes to track these variations.

Regards,

Tomas

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.

0 Kudos