Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPX5100DP: strange reading

Jump to solution
andikun
Contributor I

Dear NXP tech.
I just bought an mpx5100dp sensor. I tried to read the datasheet but I don't really understand. Especially in the sensitivity which shows 45mV/kPa.

I tried to do a test to read analog arduino for each of the 900 data that has been read by five(5) MPX5100DP sensor. in free air. The following is a snippet of the Arduino reading for each type of sensors,

dp1dp2dp3dp4dp5

*The last row is the average
Question:
1. Why can each sensor read differently?
2. Am I justified in subtracting each sensor output by its integer average? even if I subtract it then some will not produce a zero value. Does the company have a solution for this problem?

I need these sensors to do readings in a sample in my research so I try to make the resulting data logical. But I think this difference is illogical even though the sensors are placed in the same place at a very close distance.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Andhy,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

In this case, the sensitivity refers to the voltage output for every kPa.

Do you mean that you are reading the atmospheric pressure? What is your local atmospheric pressure?

In this case, I do recommend performing an auto-zero.

I believe that this is caused for the offset error. Sources of offset errors are due to device to device offset variation (trim errors), mechanical stresses (mounting stresses), shifts due to temperature and aging. Performing auto-zero calibration technique will greatly reduce these errors. This technique can easily be implemented when an integrated pressure sensor is interfaced to an A/D and a microcontroller.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Andhy,

I hope all is great with you. Thank you for using the NXP communities.

In this case, the sensitivity refers to the voltage output for every kPa.

Do you mean that you are reading the atmospheric pressure? What is your local atmospheric pressure?

In this case, I do recommend performing an auto-zero.

I believe that this is caused for the offset error. Sources of offset errors are due to device to device offset variation (trim errors), mechanical stresses (mounting stresses), shifts due to temperature and aging. Performing auto-zero calibration technique will greatly reduce these errors. This technique can easily be implemented when an integrated pressure sensor is interfaced to an A/D and a microcontroller.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos