MAG3110 query

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAG3110 query

niloy
Contributor I

hello there. I just found a magnetometer sensor in your website named MAG3110.

I am researching on a device and planning for user end production. i want that sensor for that device. i want to know the accuracy level. i want to know the minimum distance for which the sensor will measure reading and how many readings in a second. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Nabid,

With a reasonable PCB layout and with NXP E-Compass Software, we can get the Accuracy of ±5 degrees maximum to minimum.

The resolution of the MAG3110 is 0.1µT and its noise is down to 0.25µT. Since the earth's magnetic field is about 25µT horizontal component, the resolution leads to a naïve calculation of 0.1 / 25 radians of angle resolution or 0.004 radians or 0.2 degrees.  This is a naive calculation and simply shows that the MAG3110 magnetometer resolution is so good that it has a trivial effect on accuracy.

The earth's magnetic field is very weak compared to magnetic fields on PCBs and compared to the MAG3110 zero field offset. Calibration software must be used. 

Please refer to the following link for free C code. NXP has both, hard iron and soft iron calibration:

E-Compass: NXP E-Compass Software​​

The MAG3110 is capable of measuring magnetic fields with an output data rate (ODR) up to 80 Hz; these output data rates correspond to sample intervals from 12.5 ms to several seconds.

In case you want to change the ODR, you may refer to the CTRL_REG1 (0x10) register at the MAG3110 datasheet​.

Finally, I would like to recommend some useful documents in case you need them:

1. MAG3110 Frequently Asked Questions

2. MAG3110 - Bare metal example project

I hope this information will be useful for you.

If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.

David Diaz.

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.

0 Kudos

niloy
Contributor I

is there any other magnetometer which can give me result more accurately

and faster?

0 Kudos

anthonyduhamel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Nabid,

You can use FXOS8700 combo device, it runs up to 800 Hz in magnetometer only mode. The accuracy is not really dependent to the magnetometer, but more from the external magnetic disruptions. If you want an electronic compass with a better accuracy, it takes a magnetic calibration (changing the mag magnetometer will not change the heading error).

Anthony 

0 Kudos

niloy
Contributor I

Now its clear. Thanks

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 7:40 PM, anthonyduhamel <

0 Kudos