Hi,

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,

louissankoorika
Contributor I

We are trying to select a suitable magnetometer for our Autonomous vehicle application based on electric PMDC motors. Internal to the vehicle we have high magnetic field due to the motors rotation and Permanent Magnet in PMDC motor.

Will the MAG3110 magnetometer be suitable for this environment? If not please suggest suitable alternate.

Thanks

Louis

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

anthonyduhamel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your question. First I would like to understand your application. Do you plan to use the MAG3110 as an electronic compass?

If yes, the magnetic field generated by the motors can be an issue for the magnetometer measurement. However, all magnetometers are affected by this phenomena if the application needs the Earth magnetic field as a reference. Indeed, you can configure the MAG3110 and play on the data rate and the oversampling ratio to reduce the disruption effect coming from the motors.

If this is not enough, I suggest you to use an additional sensor, such as a gyroscope (FXA21002). With a Kalman filter/ or a complementary filter, you can fuse the data coming from both sensors (magnetometer and gyro) to have a more accurate solution.

You can have a look at the  NXP Sensor Fusion|NXP , and try some demokit to check if it fits to your needs.

Have a great day,

Anthony

0 Kudos