Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eval board as debugger

Jump to solution
arkadyosh
Contributor III

Hi,
I have FRDMPK144-Q100 eval board and I want to use it as debugger for my custom board with S32K144 uC. Target board use SWD as debug/program interface. How to connect eval board with custom board? Some changes in eval board are necessary?

I use S32 Design Studio for ARM.

Regards

1 Solution
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you can use J14 pinheader. I connected together two FRDMPK144-Q100 boards by J14 connectors and I'm able flash/debug them together. 

If you like to flash only your custom target - you will need to remove connections (at least some of them) between J14 and FRDMPK144-Q100 MCU. I tried flash the second EVB without power on first S32K144 - but it doesn't work - the second EVB is held in reset. 

Jiri 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
arkadyosh
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks Jiri, I can now flash my custom board. Just remove connections between J14 SWD_DIO, SWD_CLK pins and target eval board uC and change bootloader in OpenSDA to Segger OpenSDA V1(SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - Downloads - J-Link / J-Trace ).

Regards,

Arkadiusz

yuganshbansal
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using S32K144EVB as an OPENSDA debugger to debug my custom FS32K144UAVLLT micro-controller. I have also cut the SWD_DIO and SWD_CLK from the J1-06. When bootloader is with original OPENSDA firmware, i am able to debug the custom uC but i am getting "Target MCU Mismatch" error. When bootloader is changed with Segger OPENSDA V1(j link), then also i am able to debug the custom uC, but i am not able to run my example Toggle_LED program.

Can you think of a possible reason ? Was your program working fine when you debug your custom uC ? 

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

well, I don't know in detail your design, but what can sure work is remove all connections from JTAG pinheader  to EVB MCU. Otherwise - you need to experiment. Also don't forget connect grounds on your custom board and OpenSDA. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
yuganshbansal
Contributor I

Hi, 

I am sharing my programming interface with you. Please advise on the same.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you also need add Reset signal from J12 (JTAG). Anyway - are you sure that the crystal is working okay on breadboard? The crystal should be close as possible to MCU. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
sparkee
Contributor V

jirikral

Can you explain your response claiming reset is needed?

0 Kudos
sparkee
Contributor V

I know this is an old thread but I can't find where the SDA_RST pin goes to the MCU on the EVB schematic.  It goes to the barRESET pin on the K20.  Am I wrong that the reset isn't necessary for programming an external MCU?

I would like to use a 6 pin header for programming my board.  Tag Connect shows a specific cable with JTAG pinout that has RESET on there but not JTAG_TDO.  If I'm wanting to program and debug using the S32K144EVB as my programmer, can I use the proposed pinout from Tag Connect or should I move to a 10pin programming header?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you can use J14 pinheader. I connected together two FRDMPK144-Q100 boards by J14 connectors and I'm able flash/debug them together. 

If you like to flash only your custom target - you will need to remove connections (at least some of them) between J14 and FRDMPK144-Q100 MCU. I tried flash the second EVB without power on first S32K144 - but it doesn't work - the second EVB is held in reset. 

Jiri 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos