Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eval board as debugger

Jump to solution
arkadyosh
Contributor III

Hi,
I have FRDMPK144-Q100 eval board and I want to use it as debugger for my custom board with S32K144 uC. Target board use SWD as debug/program interface. How to connect eval board with custom board? Some changes in eval board are necessary?

I use S32 Design Studio for ARM.

Regards

1 Solution
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you can use J14 pinheader. I connected together two FRDMPK144-Q100 boards by J14 connectors and I'm able flash/debug them together. 

If you like to flash only your custom target - you will need to remove connections (at least some of them) between J14 and FRDMPK144-Q100 MCU. I tried flash the second EVB without power on first S32K144 - but it doesn't work - the second EVB is held in reset. 

Jiri 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
arkadyosh
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks Jiri, I can now flash my custom board. Just remove connections between J14 SWD_DIO, SWD_CLK pins and target eval board uC and change bootloader in OpenSDA to Segger OpenSDA V1(SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - Downloads - J-Link / J-Trace ).

Regards,

Arkadiusz

yuganshbansal
Contributor I

Hello,

I am using S32K144EVB as an OPENSDA debugger to debug my custom FS32K144UAVLLT micro-controller. I have also cut the SWD_DIO and SWD_CLK from the J1-06. When bootloader is with original OPENSDA firmware, i am able to debug the custom uC but i am getting "Target MCU Mismatch" error. When bootloader is changed with Segger OPENSDA V1(j link), then also i am able to debug the custom uC, but i am not able to run my example Toggle_LED program.

Can you think of a possible reason ? Was your program working fine when you debug your custom uC ? 

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

well, I don't know in detail your design, but what can sure work is remove all connections from JTAG pinheader  to EVB MCU. Otherwise - you need to experiment. Also don't forget connect grounds on your custom board and OpenSDA. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
yuganshbansal
Contributor I

Hi, 

I am sharing my programming interface with you. Please advise on the same.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you also need add Reset signal from J12 (JTAG). Anyway - are you sure that the crystal is working okay on breadboard? The crystal should be close as possible to MCU. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
sparkee
Contributor V

jirikral

Can you explain your response claiming reset is needed?

0 Kudos
sparkee
Contributor V

I know this is an old thread but I can't find where the SDA_RST pin goes to the MCU on the EVB schematic.  It goes to the barRESET pin on the K20.  Am I wrong that the reset isn't necessary for programming an external MCU?

I would like to use a 6 pin header for programming my board.  Tag Connect shows a specific cable with JTAG pinout that has RESET on there but not JTAG_TDO.  If I'm wanting to program and debug using the S32K144EVB as my programmer, can I use the proposed pinout from Tag Connect or should I move to a 10pin programming header?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you can use J14 pinheader. I connected together two FRDMPK144-Q100 boards by J14 connectors and I'm able flash/debug them together. 

If you like to flash only your custom target - you will need to remove connections (at least some of them) between J14 and FRDMPK144-Q100 MCU. I tried flash the second EVB without power on first S32K144 - but it doesn't work - the second EVB is held in reset. 

Jiri 

0 Kudos
Dileep1441
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to Flash the Custom Board(S32K144) with Evaluation Board (FRDM board S32K144) over the J14 Connector.

Could you please share the Pin to Pin Connection Details at J14 Connector and Hardware Changes(if any) also Programming Process for Custom Board.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos