cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LWIP Stack Version

Jump to solution
ivan_kenetics
Contributor II

I notice that the LWIP Version in S32 SDK for S32K1 had remain the same from RTM3.0.0 to RTM4.0.1 (Version 2.0.2) but the LWIP Version for S32_SDK_S32_PA_RTM_3.0.3 is 2.1.2.

Is there any plan to upgrade the LWIP Stack version to 2.1.2 in S32 SDK for S32K1?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
taibuivan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ivan_kenetics 

I test bandwidth of S32K148 tcpip with baremetal is 95.1 Mbits/sec.

You can check it by removing freertos component in lwip example and build run example again.

bandwidth_s32k148.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ivan,

There is no plan to update the LwIP version because there are no issues with 2.0.2 for S32K1xx.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
ivan_kenetics
Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

I understand that S32K148 LWIP demo implemented and enable the Iperf TCP Server.

I'm using a S32K148 + TJA1101 Adapter Card (ADTJA1101-RMII) with SJA1105SMBEVM to test the throughput and the throughput is around 2Mbits/Sec.

Is the S32K148 LWIP  demo suitable to be used for throughput testing using Iperf?

I attached the iperf testing block diagram.

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
ToHoangLinh
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @ivan_kenetics 

For the question, "Is the S32K148 LWIP  demo suitable to be used for throughput testing using Iperf?", we cannot answer. We did not have any specification to check about speed before; so we cannot say much about suitability. The 2Mbps speed that you obtained, however, is pretty low. Let's do the following:

- Could you please try to connect PC directly to S32K148 board, and measure iPerf performance again (remove SJA board)?

@taibuivan 

0 Kudos
ivan_kenetics
Contributor II

Hello @taibuivan 

The EVK I have is S32K148EVB-Q176 with ADTJA1101-RMII Ethernet Adapter which cannot be connected directly to PC. The EVK is 100Base-T1 Connection which can only be connected through either a SJA Board (100Base-T1 Switch EVM) or through a Media Converter which I currently don't have access to.

I have managed to get about 60Mbits/sec after tweaking some parameters in lwipopts.h.

I need to achieve at least 94 Mbits/sec as baseline before I do further testing. 

Currently, the S32K148 LWIP can only run as Iperf TCP Server. It cannot run as Iperf TCP Client. LWIP Stack 2.1.2 support Iperf TCP Client and also Iperf UDP Server/Client which 2.0.2 doesn't.

0 Kudos
ToHoangLinh
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@ivan_kenetics 

(1) Speed consideration. Honestly, we did not have any requirements about speed measurement of lwIP demo so that we cannot support for now. As you might see, it might depend on some parameters in lwipopts.h (memory params I guess). What I can suggest to you is to try a solution from (https://community.nxp.com/t5/MPC5xxx/What-is-the-maximum-network-speed-use-LwIP-in-mpc5748g/m-p/9780...). Use iperf 2.x from iperf.fr

(2) Upgrade to lwIP 2.1.2
- SDK does not have plan to upgrade lwIP 2.1.2 (we just released S32K1_RTM_4.0.2 but does not have lwIP 2.1.2) in near future.
- If you want to use lwIP 2.1.2, just copy over existing code. There'll be some minor errors of compiling ELF executable, but they can be solved.

From our side, we will provide more reports regarding speed analysis for future releases.

0 Kudos
ivan_kenetics
Contributor II

(1) I managed to get TCP Throughput from client (laptop) to server (S32K148) at about 60Mbits/sec after changing some parameters in lwipopts.h (tweaking the Transportation and Memory option). Cannot test the throughput from S32K148 to laptop as the -r option is not working properly.

(2) Upgrade to lwIP 2.1.2
To use lwip 2.1.2 on the S32K148 is not just copy over existing and solving errors of compiling. Though the code will run and work but it seem like something is broken as it'll cause the other S32K148 EVK with LWIP 2.0.2 to stop responding to ping if a reset is done on the S32K148 EVK with LWIP 2.1.2. Doesn't has any issue with reset when both are using LWIP 2.0.2.

0 Kudos
taibuivan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @ivan_kenetics 

I test bandwidth of S32K148 tcpip with baremetal is 95.1 Mbits/sec.

You can check it by removing freertos component in lwip example and build run example again.

bandwidth_s32k148.PNG

ivan_kenetics
Contributor II

Thanks for the information.

I'm able to achieve about 93Mbits/Sec (S32K148 receive) and about 15Mbits/Sec (S32K148 sending) using iperf "-r" option.

0 Kudos