cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting processing across multiple cores

jyothsnarajan
Contributor V

Hi,

I am working with the dual core MPC57xx processor and use NXP's S32DS IDE. Initially for proof of concept, I designed the entire application from start to end to be executed on one processor core. Fairly simple - in S32DS I chose only one processor core, used PE to specify my hardware and generate the pin mappings and do the basic interface/module setup, added all my source files to the project and generated the elf output that I then download to the core using PEMicro cyclone. All works good but the core is loaded to the hilt. To reduce the processing load, I now want to separate some low priority housekeeping tasks to the other core. 

In the S32IDE, a separate project is created for each core. Each project has its independent PE directory and requires code to be generated for each project. Documentation clearly states that PE generated code cannot be shared between the two core specific projects. 

Am looking for some guidance on how best to do this without duplicating code and effort.

What I would like to do is:

1. Create one project (independent of the core) and collocate all the source, header and PE beans 

2. Use switch in the source files to control which function runs on which core .

3. Use the linker file directives 

a. to place core-specific code/data in the local memories of the core on which they execute

b.to allocate specifc regions within the SRAM for each cores code and data sections

c. to allocate specifc memory to store common global data that will be accessed by either core

d. generate a single ELF file for the complete application 

e. start both cores with a single operation.

4. Be able to build the project  and debug , using the S32DS IDE  (as opposed to command line build)

Is it really necessary to create two separate projects and create redundant processor expert code for a single hardware unit when all I want is to have the two cores share the execution ?

Appreciate suggestions, caveats from all even if done for another processor type.

Thank you.

@Alex_Peck

0 Kudos
2 Replies

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

an alternative to the separate project per core could be to add the code for additional cores directly into the same project and generate a single executable file for all cores.

see e.g. this example: e.g. 

pastedImage_2.png

or MPC5777C example here:

Example MPC5777C Single ELF multi-core Pin Toggling - S32DS Power 2017.R1 

Hope it helps.

Stan

0 Kudos

jyothsnarajan
Contributor V

Hi Stan,

Thanks much for your reply.  The example uses GHS. But I use S32DS and it has limitations. Eg.  I cannot create a project without a core-name suffix. Also Processor Expert beans have to specified separately for each core - description very clearly states that i cannot generated PE code for one core-project and just reference the same from the other core-project.  Ideas?

Best,

JoyR

0 Kudos