Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32 Flash Tool - user guide question

Jump to solution
asap
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@PatrickMenter 

I have installed the S32DS3.4, and get the S32 Flash Tool user guide from the S32DS installation folder. just found this doc (S32FTUG) only have two devices supported: S32V234 and S32S247.

could you please confirm S32 FT have supported S32G2 to program the external flash? And if so could be a way to include that info into the ug? ....

Albert
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @asap / Albert,

Once the S32G is announced for mass market, we can include references to it in the main documentation. As I understand the mass market launch for S32G is now scheduled for the beginning of May 2021.

Best Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AmitSRK
Contributor I

Hi,

Could anyone please share the S32 Flash tool exe file. I am unable to find it anywhere. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

After you install S32 Design Studio for S32 Platform, you will find the S32 Flash Tool located within the installation directory:

C:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\S32DS\tools\S32FlashTool

There are options for both GUI and command line:

"C:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\S32DS\tools\S32FlashTool\GUI\s32ft.exe"

"C:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\S32DS\tools\S32FlashTool\bin\S32FlashTool.exe"

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
AmitSRK
Contributor I

Thanks Mike, understood.

0 Kudos
MichalMatyl
Contributor II

Hello.

I'm working with S32G and have just encountered the same problem with Flash Tool. There are only two targets: S32S247TV and S32V234.

I think I installed S32DS for S32G, version 3.5. FlashTool's help file mentions how to add other targets by referring some document that are nowhere to find.

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to add S32G target to Flash Tool.

Thanks

Michal

0 Kudos
asap
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Michal,

you may refer to the on demand training : 

https://www.nxp.com/design/training/technical-overview-of-the-s32g2-development-environment:TIP-TECH...

from 30' there is a detail S32 flash tool for S32G explaination.

albert

Albert
0 Kudos
MichalMatyl
Contributor II
Albert,
I've just noticed you posted the original problem and now you're trying to tell me it's not a problem, lol.

So once again: in Flash Tool's "Target" listbox there is no "S32G2xxx" target available to choose from. Only "S32S247TV" and "S32V234". No look at the training material you're refferring to: there's a Flash Tool screenshot showing "S32G2xxx" in "Target" field.

So the question again is: what do I need to do to also have "S32G2xxx" available in Flash Tool's "Target" field.

BR
Michal
0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @MichalMatyl,

The S32 Flash Tool includes S32V234 and S32S247TV with the base install, for additional devices support, you are required to install the respective S32DS Development Package.

In the case of S32G, this would be 'S32G development package', latest version for S32DS 3.5 is version 3.5.2.

mikedoidge_0-1680625129097.png

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
MichalMatyl
Contributor II
Yes, exactly. Thank you for pointing this.

This is where the confusion comes from, most likely I haven't completed S32DS installation process. The basic package, which is Windows installer, is only "bare" S32DS installation. One need to install this additional "S32G development package" from S32DS itself.

After that I could finally see 4 additional targets in the FlashTool, including "S32G2xxx". But this is where things only start getting interesting. Because I can "talk to" the chip - test connection, upload target and get flash ID but device download yields only zeros.

So after discussing with a colleague he told me the device ID doesn't match the one which is populated. Then I found out we have 2 QSPI chips and QSPI bus in fact supports 2 ports. But RCON is hardwired to use EEPROM for BOOT_CFG1 configuration and we have wrong port configuration in BOOT_CFG1[9]. This way I'm stuck with the other, unused QSPI chip. It was probably never programmed or erased and that's where these zeros come from.

I'm stuck because this EEPROM is an I2C device which cannot be reprogrammed without debugger/programmer. Unless you can also provide I2C "algorithm" template for FlashSDK_Ext.
0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I was a bit confused by your details, after reading a few times, I think I understand what you are trying to do. You are using a custom board, not NXP EVB, and it has 2 flash memory devices connected via QSPI. Your board is also setup to use the Serial RCON, which means the configuration comes from the value programmed to EEPROM (as is an option with the NXP EVB). We already have a script for this to change the value, probably you already know of this:

HOWTO: Program Serial RCON using S32 Debug Probe S32G2xx 

I suppose since it requires having S32 Debug Probe connected to the board via JTAG, and you noted that you need some option aside from debugger, that this is the issue you are faced with?

Unfortunately, we do not have a solution outside of this method. I will check if our developers could consider if there would be any other way to accomplish this.

What is the reason you are unable to use the Debugger/JTAG method?

MichalMatyl
Contributor II
Right, this is a custom board and your understanding is 100% correct.

The reason I can't use S32 Debug Probe (yet) is because it's bundled with JTAG plug cables which requires a JTAG socket on the PCB, while my company moved to JTAG socket-less solution which requires Tag-Connect spring connector (aka pogo connector aka needle adapter aka plug of nails).

We are short on development samples so I decided not to solder a socket and risk damaging the sample but to order Tag-Connect cable (Cortex 20 Pin to 10 Pin Plug-of-Nail) which should work with the Debug Probe's adapter:
https://www.tag-connect.com/product/tc2050-idc-nl-050-all-20

The delivery is quite delayed somehow, so in the meantime I decided to give a try to this serial flashing method, but it's not a priority. Rather a curio, but incidentally I found this topic more complex and interesting on HW level so I wanted to understand how it works. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
MichalMatyl
Contributor II
I received tag-connect cable and wanted to check I2C EEPROM flashing and close FlashTool subject, but I encountered quite a few interesting issues that require a separate thread. I'll try to describe it soon.

I just wanted to make and update here to anyone who follows, because the issues starts with the tag-connect cable itself. Well, I ordered 20pin version, while NXP adapter handles 10pin version. The 20pin version still works perfectly, but it can damage the adapter's socket easily.
0 Kudos
asap
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

thank Patrick, Mike,

my request is that if the tool is supporting S32G, we should mention it in somewhere. like the user guide in the folder "C:\NXP\S32DS.3.4\S32DS\tools\S32FlashTool\doc", we only mentioned S32S247TV and S32V234, not mentioning S32G at all. though we do have another txt file in the same folder "supported S32G devices" mentioned briefly the S32G rev1.0 rev 2.0 and 4 family members supported. can we include those info into same user guide?

Albert
0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @asap / Albert,

Once the S32G is announced for mass market, we can include references to it in the main documentation. As I understand the mass market launch for S32G is now scheduled for the beginning of May 2021.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @asap ,

The S32G support is included when the S32G2xx development package is installed. You can locate this within the Automotive SW – S32G2 Standard Software section of the NXP Flexera download site. From there, follow the link to Automotive SW - S32G2 - S32 Design Studio, then look for:

mikedoidge_0-1615819077428.png

Hope that helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
PatrickMenter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Albert,

The tool supports all the latest, what is available publicly is limited, because not all devices have launched publicly yet.  Please contact @mikedoidge and he can help you.

-Patrick

0 Kudos