LS102xA: is Secure Boot with key extension supported?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS102xA: is Secure Boot with key extension supported?

jean-francoisri
Contributor I

I have been testing various Secure Boot scenarios on my LS102xA board with QSPI flash. I started by generating 4 SRK and burning their hash in the SRK Hash registers. Then I tried:

• Signing all boot components using the 1st SRK => it works
  • Signing U-Boot and its bootscript with the 1st SRK, signing secondary boot components using a different key whose hash is specified in the corresponding esbc_validate command => it works
  • Signing U-Boot and 5 IE keys with the 1st SRK, then signing the bootscript and secondary boot components with one of the extension keys => it fails!

I have little details on the failure: after programming my flash with the secure boot components, it just freezes. Using a Lauterbach debugger, I can see that DCFG_CCSR_SCRATCHRW1 contains indeed the address of my U-Boot CSF header, but DCFG_CCSR_SCRATCHRW2 is equal to 0, which would indicate there was not secure boot failure reported by the Secure Boot ROM. So perhaps the failure is in U-Boot.

In the LS1021A SDK v0.4 documentation (section 31.8.2.4.2), it is written that:

Key Extension feature is applicable only for NOR secure Boot. It is not applicable for RAMBOOT (where data has to be copied onto RAM, eg:- NAND, SD, SPI)

I'm using QSPI NOR flash, which I assumed should support key extension. So my questions are:

1. Is the LS102xA family supposed to support key extension?
  2. If so, do all members of that family support key extension, in particular the SEC-less LS1022A?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>Is the LS102xA family supposed to support key extension?
>
[Platon] Yes, all crypto-enabled LS102xA, LS104xA and LS1012A implement
NXP Trust Architecture 2.1 which does support IE Key Extension.

>If so, do all members of that family support key extension, in particular the SEC-less LS1022A?
>
[Platon] TA 2.1 ISBC relies on the presence of SEC. Thus parts without
it cannot perform Secure Boot in general.

Note, we have a very limited range of Secure Boot and TA-related materials
that can be shared without NDA. If you need more help with your boot
scenario, please be sure to open a Support Case:

https://nxpcommunity.force.com/community/CommunityContextPage

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jean-francoisri
Contributor I

Thank you Platon for the confirmation! It turns out that my flash chip was misbehaving and was clearing arbitrary bits in the first sector I was updating. After switching to a functioning chip, I was able to secure-boot from my LS1022A board configured with key extension.

One thing I'm puzzled about is that, according to the LS1021A Reference Manual, the LS1022A is not supposed to have a SEC, as shown in the B-1 table:

FeaturesLS1021ALS1022A
DDR memory controllerDDR3L/DDR4 with ECC and interleaving
support
DDR3L 8/16-bit with ECC
SerDes lanes4-Lane 6 GHz SerDes1-Lane 5 GHz SerDes
SATA controllerYesNo
USB controller2 (1-USB2.0 (ULPI) and 1-USB 3.0w/
PHY)
1 (USB 2.0 (ULPI))
2D-ACEYesNo
QUICC EngineYesNo
Ethernet complex3x GbE - SGMII, MII, IEEE 1588, RGMII,
RMII
2x GbE - MII, IEEE 1588, RGMII, RMII
PCI Express 2.0 controller21 (x1 only)
SECYesNo

However, I'm clearly able to secure-boot from my LS1022A board. Is it because:

• there is a SEC but it's not available for use outside of Secure Boot?
  • cryptographic operations are performed in software emulation by the internal Boot ROM?
0 Kudos